Giving the price with recited "specials"

Let me get this right - When you go for a meal out you decide on what you want according to the price alongside it?

Sad to say, yes. Not only in terms of which entree to order, but also whether or not to get an appetizer. I generally keep myself on a pretty tight budget.

I couldn't be bothered to eat out if that was the case; I can eat cheaper and usually as good as, if not better, at home.

I can afford to eat out sometimes, plus I like going to various "ethnic" places where I can have things I'd never be able to reproduce at home. I just can't spend gobs of money.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Price is certainly a factor in determining what I order. Not that I'm always looking for the cheapest thing on the menu, but perceptions of value come into play. Some dishes just seem ridiculously overpriced for what they are & I will avoid those.

I have no problems asking the prices on specials either, if they aren't volunteered. I don't need a legislature to do that for me. Silly idea.

Isn't the 'value' of eating out a combination of the surroundings, the service and the chef's interpretation of the dish? Until you've ordered and tasted it you can't know what its value is.

True. But when there are multiple choices, you have to make an educated guess, & price can enter into that. "I'll try her take on the chicken, if I like it, maybe I'll spend the extra for the cuttlefish entrails next time."

It seems silly to have a law on this, but can you imagine going into a store for a pair of socks and asking for the price, only to have the clerk tell you that you will find out only after the sale is made at the register? It is a bit weird to play hide the price like that.

"I like this car, how much does it cost?"

"We'll tell you how much it costs after you buy it."

:blink: :unsure:

I don't think anyone's suggesting that restaurants refuse to tell diners what the price is.

"Oh, the lamb special sounds lovely, how much is it?"

"huh?"

"The lamb special. How much is it?"

"You'd like the lamb special, then? Excellent."

"No, I want to know how much it is."

"As I said, it's a rack of about 6 chops. We recommend medium rare."

"No, how much does it cost?

"What, sir?"

"The lamb special."

"Yes, sir, exactly. Would you like mushies with that?"

Nope, sorry. I may decide not to return if I feel that the value for money has been poor, and I may haggle over the bill, but when I'm ordering price is irrelevant.

Good on ya! Are you buying next time I'm in Wiltshire? ;)

If I invite you to join me then I'm buying, if you invite me then you're paying, whether it be the the best restaurant in the county or the chippie round the corner.

I have no problem asking about the prices. None at all.

I don't either when I'm out with friends or Ms 9. I find it's awkward to ask the price if I am someone's guest or if I'm taking out a biz client.

If I'm the guest and the "special" sounds good I don't want to order it if it's significantly higher priced than the rest of the menu..unless my host orders it first.

If I'm the host, I don't want to appear cheap by asking the price...and my client may not want to order something that is much higher priced than the rest of the menu.

I'm not saying that a law is required for this; but I do prefer a waiter saying "we have a veal chop special at $38" as opposed to just saying "we have a veal chop special."

I think the last place that described a special to me, and didn't give a price, was Magdalen (a slow cooked shoulder of lamb, served whole in the pot, with a heap of good veg + broth). The server seemed genuinely surprised when I asked the price (bless!). Bloody good it was too, fed three including a Majumdar!

This whole "not knowing the price of what you are ordering" has been debated across several of the boards for some time. I guess it depends on the context. When I asked for two glasses of house champagne at Gavroche as an aperitif, meal to celebrate my wife's birthday, no I didn't ask for the price list. If I had been with work colleagues, damn right I'd want to know.

I think the waiters at Sammy's Roumanian should recite the prices whether on the menu or not, and the calories.

"Roumanian tenderloin, $75, 4000 calories; breaded $85, 5500 calories; add a vegetable $110, 7000 calories; a side of karnatzlach, $26, 2000 calories; a bottle of vodka $495, comes with ice, glasses, etc."

NB: The above figures are for satirical purposes only and do not purport to represent the actual cost or calorie-burden of a pleasant dinner at Sammy's.

I am just laughing my ass off at 5:19 AM from this post.

It seems silly to have a law on this, but can you imagine going into a store for a pair of socks and asking for the price, only to have the clerk tell you that you will find out only after the sale is made at the register? It is a bit weird to play hide the price like that.

"I like this car, how much does it cost?"

"We'll tell you how much it costs after you buy it."

:blink: :unsure:

I don't think anyone's suggesting that restaurants refuse to tell diners what the price is.

My point is that it is unusual and unique to restaurants to describe or list a special on the menu and not disclose the price. I am not suggesting that they will not disclose if you ask, but that it is odd that you have to ask, and if you don't you have no means to discover the cost until you get the bill.