Giving the price with recited "specials"

I don't think I have ever heard a special verbaled without the price being quoted as well. This whole thread confuses me. Where are you all dining? :unsure:

I think it would save everyone trouble and embarrassment if they simply went to those fun places with the backlit menu boards :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have ever heard a special verbaled without the price being quoted as well. This whole thread confuses me. Where are you all dining? :unsure:

I think it would save everyone trouble and embarrassment if they simply went to those fun places with the backlit menu boards :lol:

From a marketing standpoint, I think many restaurants are missing an opportunity to make some money.

If there are more than 2 or 3 specials, the list should be printed and handed to the customer. Many places do this. Printing out a page with a dozen specials listed, in mouth watering detail, should be an opportunity to upsell, and collect some more revenue. It's not rocket science.

I think the waiters at Sammy's Roumanian should recite the prices whether on the menu or not, and the calories.

Haha... You love yourself some Sammy's.. I am actually wearing the t-shirt as an under shirt today..

IIRC, there was a thread on OA about this a long way back. Someone suggested that asking the price of specials sent a signal to the restaurant that price was more important than quality.

I think it sends a signal that you understand that you have to pay for your food.

Let me get this right - When you go for a meal out you decide on what you want according to the price alongside it?

Not in the way you're saying. But if I'm choosing between, say, three different items that all look good to me, then price would be a factor. And there are some prices I just won't pay (although the break point obviously changes as the general market changes).

If one main course on a menu costs US $75, and the rest are around US $40, that price difference wouldn't affect your willingness to choose the more expensive item?

And if the price of that one much more expensive item hadn't been disclosed to you before ordering, you wouldn't feel a little put out?

That's weird. I rarely -- less than 25% of the time -- hear prices being quoted when the specials are orally stated.

That's weird. I rarely -- less than 25% of the time -- hear prices being quoted when the specials are orally stated.

That's been my experience as well in dining in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and New Jersey restaurants.

That's been my experience as well in dining in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and New Jersey restaurants.

YMMV.

The next time I go to a restaurant that has special and they dont have the price listed, I am going to fight with the waiter.. When the bill comes, I am going to say, there is no way I would have paid 70 dollars for the Dover Sole.. You specifically told me it was 6 dollars..

I remember clearly, that you said 6 dollars.. Because I thought to myself, wow what a deal..

I wonder if that would work.. If there is no listed price, how can the restaurant proove that they told me the real price..

Of course I will wait until I am with my girls family, or at an important business dinner..

The next time I go to a restaurant that has special and they dont have the price listed, I am going to fight with the waiter..

Hey, that's my job...no, wait I do the MD's. You can have the waiter - all yours, enjoy.