Giving the price with recited "specials"

The next time I go to a restaurant that has special and they dont have the price listed, I am going to fight with the waiter.. When the bill comes, I am going to say, there is no way I would have paid 70 dollars for the Dover Sole.. You specifically told me it was 6 dollars..

I remember clearly, that you said 6 dollars.. Because I thought to myself, wow what a deal..

I wonder if that would work.. If there is no listed price, how can the restaurant proove that they told me the real price.. (snip)

I don't think you need to fight over it. Since he offered the item to you without stating a price, it's not unreasonable you thought it was free. Everything else on the printed list had a price of some sort.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only place I had a real problem with this was many years ago at the mobbish, then-cigar-loungey F.Illi Ponte on the west wide.

I ordered a lobster special without enquiring about the price - lesson learned - but I did have a long de-briefing with the maitre d' about it, since the price was so far out of line with anything reasonable. Then I paid, of course.

I recently had the Lobster special at L'Ambroisie. I was surprised that it cost less than the average dish on the menu.

I hope you gave them hell for that.

The waiter went down on his knees and begged at the end of the meal.

(he actually did, trying to emphasize the importance of us trying the chocolate cake)

I recently had the Lobster special at L'Ambroisie. I was surprised that it cost less than the average dish on the menu.

I hope you gave them hell for that.

The waiter went down on his knees and begged at the end of the meal.

(he actually did, trying to emphasize the importance of us trying the chocolate cake)

Now there's line to avoid.

Let me get this right - When you go for a meal out you decide on what you want according to the price alongside it?

Not in the way you're saying. But if I'm choosing between, say, three different items that all look good to me, then price would be a factor. And there are some prices I just won't pay (although the break point obviously changes as the general market changes).

Fine, that's what you do, I don't.

If one main course on a menu costs US $75, and the rest are around US $40, that price difference wouldn't affect your willingness to choose the more expensive item?
When I go out I eat what I want to eat regardless of price, in the same way that I drink what I want to drink regardless of cost. I may choose not to return if I think it's been poor value for money but that can happen if the meal is cheap just as much as if it was expensive.

And if the price of that one much more expensive item hadn't been disclosed to you before ordering, you wouldn't feel a little put out?
Nope, as I have said, when I eat out I don't consider the price of individual items. If I feel that the bill at the end of the meal doesn't reflect the eating out experience I have, or haven't, enjoyed then I may reconsider returning, but that's as far as it goes.

I think what some are complaining about is a restaurant doing a number on the customer. There was an Italian that didn't last long near Washington Square east side. G went for the special veal chop without asking the price. It was around $45 and this was around 18 years ago. I think most people would have gone WHAT? if they'd been told the price beforehand.

I think you're right, but as I don't look at the price when I order anyway it wouldn't make any difference to my ordering, and in the overall scheme of things having one dish in a meal that's more expensive would hardly be noticed.

I went to dinner last night at The Canebrake Kitchen and the waiter quoted prices when talking about the daily specials without my having to ask. I thought of this thread when that was happening. The quoted prices did not influence my decisions. Excellent dinner by the way.

Let me get this right - When you go for a meal out you decide on what you want according to the price alongside it?

Not in the way you're saying. But if I'm choosing between, say, three different items that all look good to me, then price would be a factor. And there are some prices I just won't pay (although the break point obviously changes as the general market changes).

Fine, that's what you do, I don't.

If one main course on a menu costs US $75, and the rest are around US $40, that price difference wouldn't affect your willingness to choose the more expensive item?
When I go out I eat what I want to eat regardless of price, in the same way that I drink what I want to drink regardless of cost. I may choose not to return if I think it's been poor value for money but that can happen if the meal is cheap just as much as if it was expensive.

And if the price of that one much more expensive item hadn't been disclosed to you before ordering, you wouldn't feel a little put out?
Nope, as I have said, when I eat out I don't consider the price of individual items. If I feel that the bill at the end of the meal doesn't reflect the eating out experience I have, or haven't, enjoyed then I may reconsider returning, but that's as far as it goes.

I'm a famous wastrel, and I think that's an extreme position. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Also, don't you sometimes choose where to go on a particular night on grounds of price? Even I don't ALWAYS want to spend $200 for dinner. So I think you have a right to be upset if you go somewhere expecting a, say US $60 or $70 total dinner and, because of an undisclosed high special price or two, end up spending more like US $100.

(ETA: It may be that I'm more sensitive to this than you because I eat out just about every night.)

What do you (meaning SRD) think of Oakapple's recent experience at Kurumazushi in New York, where his omakase for two (with no prices mentioned) ended up costing more than $1000? Was he wrong to care?

[if the admins think this side-discussion is causing thread drift, it could be split off. I'm not sure whether it's off the original topic or not.]