The surrealism of everyday life

Nor do I ever serve a drink at home without some sort of snack to go along, be it simply olives and a bowl of nuts.

i remember early on my comeupance from an elderly family friend who smiled over her martini and asked, "Darling, can you bring out some blotters?"

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

aren’t bars here required to offer some kind of food? everyone I go to has bags of chips behind the bar if it doesn’t sell other food.

Depends on the type of license, but chips aren't going to count as food if someone wants to challenge them.

I can't think of a situation where trying to enforce these policies has a positive outcome.

I was going to kick him out for good but, I didn’t do that. Something tells me the next time he comes in wearing the construction hat with the two beers attached to straws, he’s 86 for life

Emotional support hat.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not surreal, but our flight to Paris this past Saturday literally took under 6 hours. Tailwind was around 200 mph the whole flight, and we arrived an hour and twenty minutes early.

i had already worked out that we could check in to our AirBnB at our original estimated arrival time (like 10 AM), but driving into Paris before sunrise was weird, as was calling our host and requesting an even earlier check-in.  She complied.

of course had we been flying back to NYC into 200 mph headwinds, my knuckles would’ve been really white, and my Xanax intake would’ve quadrupled. 

No surprise here.    Winds reached 180 - 200 mph at Sierra peaks Saturday.    Here at sea level, it was like a scene from Wizard of Oz.     NEVER experienced non-hurricane wind like this before.   Husband is in the high country and reported that he worried for structural damage.

On March 1 businesses in New York City will need to start collecting $0.05 for paper bags and will not be allowed to provide plastic bags, unless the bags are used for fish or poultry (but not meat!) or vegetables, or candy, or prepared or sliced foods, or food from a restaurant, or newspapers, or garments, or drugs... 

So basically if you're shopping for nails or bars of soap bring your own bag.

• Like 1

well, I am all for getting rid of plastic bags..  .. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for people to start carrying their own bags.. 

So it has been no plastic bags at all where I live and it has been a non-event mostly because everyone drives everywhere and keeps bags in their cars. If everyone walked or took mass transportation, it would be a different story.

If everyone walked or took mass transportation, it would be a different story.

Not really.    I walk for many purchases and just stuff a folded bag in my pocket, or a carrier bag over my shoulder.    It's amusing to see how many people refuse to pop for a bag and are content to stroll along juggling several items of unwrapped food, like a quart of milk, baguette and pound of butter.

They charged me 20 euro cents for a bag here in Paris. And I brought with us a light cloth bag, but forgot it in the apartment!

At home, I bring bags with me when shopping; not really the hardest thing to do, especially with the way our environmental regs are being gutted, gonna be up to cities and states to start making some rules.

• Like 1

We love the nylon bags sold at checkout at most supermarkets like Monoprix.    a euro including its own bag.    Stuff in pocket.   

Besides crayon colors, Monoprix usually has one with miniature print of Paris monuments, happily received by friends at home,

! euro at Monoprix;  $10 on ebay!