Vanessa

The surrealism of everyday life

7 hours ago, small h said:

There are a lot of folk asking for money at the Union Square Greenmarket lately, and today I was approached by a young guy who said he was hungry and trying to get some food. As I had a cart full of food, I asked him if he wanted carrots or strawberries or tomatoes or something. He said, and I quote, “I need money for Wendy’s. You’d have to be pretty desperate to eat raw carrots.”

I feel the same way sometimes, especially given the quality of most of the produce found in the Canadian prairies. 

5 minutes ago, prasantrin said:

I feel the same way sometimes, especially given the quality of most of the produce found in the Canadian prairies. 

There was nothing wrong with these carrots! They were beautiful carrots.

40 minutes ago, small h said:

There was nothing wrong with these carrots! They were beautiful carrots.

my kids feel that way.

12 hours ago, AaronS said:

my kids feel that way.

Your kids don't like raw carrots either? This is baffling to me!

1 hour ago, small h said:

Your kids don't like raw carrots either? This is baffling to me!

Raw carrots have a flavor that combines bitter with some sort of deet-ish or household cleaner aroma. When they're good and sweet it's masked, but those old storage carrots are inedible when raw, imo. When cooked this goes away. Yellow carrots, which I guess are more similar to turmeric, have more of this as far as I can tell, and of course raw turmeric belongs exclusively on instagram. 

I get the same thing from storage apples. 

Ymmv.

• Like 1

My health-conscious mother used to send me to school with grated carrot (with raisins, walnuts and Miracle Whip on Roman Meal bread) sandwiches for lunch.   Ever tried to trade one of those for PB&J or tuna?   Good luck.

• Haha 1

I haven't tried or sniffed any deet recently (nor any household cleaners for that matter), but it would be great if carrots protected against ticks.

23 minutes ago, Orik said:

Raw carrots have a flavor that combines bitter with some sort of deet-ish or household cleaner aroma...

I have had bitter old carrots (and it takes one to know one), but I never noticed any chemical-ish smell to them.

I bought some shredded carrots back in March since I couldn't get whole ones for a recipe using small diced carrot. I found the remaining carrots in the fridge this week. They looked just like they did the day I got them. That, to me, is scary 😵. Into the garbage they went.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, small h said:

I have had bitter old carrots (and it takes one to know one), but I never noticed any chemical-ish smell to them.

Google says "pine, wood, citrus, and turpentine." which I guess is what I associate with household cleaners and deet.

See, if some liqueur were described as tasting like “pine, wood, citrus, and turpentine”, I’d buy it in a minute.