The surrealism of everyday life

52 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

See, if some liqueur were described as tasting like “pine, wood, citrus, and turpentine”, I’d buy it in a minute. 

Sounds like a bad retsina.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Lithuanian restaurant in Alameda, the only one west of Chicago, is closing because the owner is going back to Lithuania to run for Parliament and he doesn't trust anyone else to run the restaurant.

I was supposed to be on a plane right now flying to Columbus, OH to work The Memorial Tournament. It would have been my first tournament since Bayhill in March. On one hand, I was really excited because it is my favorite Tour stop because I get to go behind the scenes at the Columbus Zoo during my off time. Spending time playing with with Jack Hannah's traveling animals (the ones you've seen on Carson, Letterman, Colbert etc). Last year included a baby spotted cloud leopard, koala bears, penguins and a baby wallaby among others. And the tournament always has an incredible field. I was looking really forward to walking 18 with Tiger and no spectators. And they have the absolute best milkshakes I've ever had in the clubhouse 😊. On the  other hand, it would involve hours in airports and on two separate flights to get there. Rinse and repeat for the trip home.

My boss called yesterday morning. They had decided since I would indeed be flying on  Delta CRJs for two legs of the trip, that I should not go. They were concerned both for my health, and also, the very slim chance that if I did test positive upon arrival, they would be hosed since there would be no one there to take my place. 

What is surreal to me is that my reaction was one of relief. I've never had any qualms about spending well over an hundred hours each year on planes. It is surreal to me that I do now. I wish the medical community would hurry up with a therapeutic that can be taken at the onset of COVID, rather than how it's treated now. I want to get back to normal.

• Like 3

Last year I posted this in the Reason to be Cheerful thread but this year here. Just booked flights to Jazzfest 2021 in New Orleans.  Betting that Orik pushes morcilla aside and comes up with a vaccine before next April. 

Empathizing. Today I registered for a conference I attend every fall in Boston (and indeed Evelyn and I met up in Boston year before last I think). It’s online this year of course. 

I don’t travel like Evelyn, but accustomed to maybe 14 trips a year, the absence of flights and hotels is deeply strange.

Oddly enough, it looks like my next trip will be the Boston tournament in August. But I am doubting that will happen due to possible quarantine upon arrival issues coming from Las Vegas. We shall see...

22 hours ago, mitchells said:

Last year I posted this in the Reason to be Cheerful thread but this year here. Just booked flights to Jazzfest 2021 in New Orleans.  Betting that Orik pushes morcilla aside and comes up with a vaccine before next April. 

The next Coffee Expo is going to be the same weekend as the first weekend of JazzFest.  Not booking just yet though.

• 3 weeks later...

How's this for surreal... I showed up in Chicago yesterday... I flew from newark to o'hare... I arrived, 820 miles from my house without a dime on me, nor a single credit card..   New phone, I do not have apple pay even set up... Luckily, the showroom I work in provides lunch and I sold a few boxes from my showroom for a couple of hundred bucks now...  Last night's dinner was  a bag of popcorn I took from the breakroom and some cashews I randomly had in my briefcase. But, prior to that, I had nothing..  Credit card on file while checking in and I am an elite hyatt member.  So yeh, I have some clothes, a couple of gummy bears, a few good books and that's about it..