The surrealism of everyday life

I would classify getting a voicemail containing a 2:59 long quite nice instrumental piece as just odd, but the google voice transcription pushes it into surreal:

Dead dead dead. Dead dead dead dead. Dead dead dead dead dead. Thursday

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

I have been conjugating several swear words all morning.   Diagnosis on our car = frame damage -> will probably be totaled by insurance, not that we'd want to drive a car after such damage.   Husband has given me job of researching and proposing new car.  (Too tedious for him.)    There aren't too many that suit our length, ground clearance and cargo requirements (city parking + country use + we seem to be perpetual schleppers).    And manual transmissions seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird.    Cranky doesn't begin to describe me.   Insurance is giving us a month of rental car of our choice, so at least we're not under the gun.

Anticipating the diagnosis when husband took the car out this am, i made another chocolate Guinness cake.   Things always look brighter with cake.   Pic doesn't show it but husband came in while I was taking cake out of the oven, waited 3 minutes and cut himself a still steaming slice.

IMG_0499.thumb.jpg.13a64c10e90fbb853c858aef3a11f97e.jpg

53 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

What did you have before?

Did you like it? If so, buy another one?

I don't think many manual transmissions are on the market any more.

You nailed our problem.   We have a Honda Element, what turned out to be a limited appeal cult car.   Like the Suburu Outback, they are a heritage car, passed on to next generation until they expire.   Discontinued some 10 years ago.   It's a short, boxy thing that parks in places other cars try and give up on,   Rear seats pop out for extra cube.    Was originally aimed at surfers, stick the board out the sunroof, interior rubber coated -> hose down like the monkey cage at the zoo, peppy,   But young buyers just stared at it and it became the darling of the 40-50 range.    We've also scoured the used market, nixing accident victim cars and multi-owner.    

True that about manual transmissions.

Right - that's what I was meaning...I doubt one can find an SUVish vehicle (new) with a manual.

Moving to automatics, I was gonna suggest something in the Subaru family, and also VW makes some interesting autos which might fit the need.

Be prepared for some very interesting technology in the new vehicles, if you buy a new vehicle.

Thanks, guys.   Surubu is high on the list of possibles.   Son recently replaced his Outback with an Outback, and even settled for an automatic, something he swore he would  never do, and is encouraging us to switch over.   

Today's plan is to go talk with our mechanic and arrange for an in-depth exam of the Element, which has served us so well and fits our needs perfectly; city parking, highway driving, mountain roads, cargo space.    Husband would really like to keep it if we can be assured that it is viable and reliable.   

28 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I had a manual when I lived out there. One of the old 2-seater, sportier (late 80s maybe?) Preludes.

Loved driving that thing in the city - though my friends thought I was nuts. Never even burnt out a clutch!

It's something you learned to do if you lived here.  The transition becomes as automatic as an...automatic.    And, no, we tend to keep our cars forever and never have replaced a clutch.    I taught our son to drive in a manual '63 Mercedes 230 in the Marin Flea Market parking lot, progressing to the twisty and hilly roads of the Marin Highlands, now a National Recreational Area.

19 minutes ago, voyager said:

It's something you learned to do if you lived here.  The transition becomes as automatic as an...automatic.    And, no, we tend to keep our cars forever and never have replaced a clutch.    I taught our son to drive in a manual '63 Mercedes 230 in the Marin Flea Market parking lot, progressing to the twisty and hilly roads of the Marin Highlands, now a National Recreational Area.

That Benz - did it have the 3 on the column?