The surrealism of everyday life

1 hour ago, hollywood said:

Some friends' 6 year old son had his dad's password and ran up $900 in charges for Minecraft accessories.

I've had exactly one fraud alert (I'm probably pretty lucky), and it was someone buying a shit ton of World of Warcraft stuff. Also a plane ticket, but it was all caught in time.

• Like 1
  • Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

7 hours ago, small h said:

I've had exactly one fraud alert (I'm probably pretty lucky), and it was someone buying a shit ton of World of Warcraft stuff. Also a plane ticket, but it was all caught in time.

I have this pretty good extension (from my credit card company) that makes a new and different credit card number for every different web site that is used when making a purchase. And then I have Dashlane, which stores all the different passwords to different websites. So when I make a purchase, I first have to log in to Dashlane (the only password I can actually remember, yet it's long and varied), then log into the credit card company after picking up that password from Dashlane, then the extension generates the site specific credit card number.

All this, and Significant Eater is still able to buy stuff.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm bad at explaining - it's the Cap One Venture Card:

KEEP YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER TO YOURSELF Eno appears at checkout and provides a unique virtual card number only for that site, allowing you to shop online without exposing your actual card number. STEER CLEAR OF UNWANTED CHARGES Enjoy greater control over your online shopping experience. With Eno, you can lock or unlock your virtual card numbers anytime without affecting your other spending. SET IT AND FORGET IT Virtual card numbers keep working even if you get a new credit card, so you won't need to manually update your card information on the sites where you've stored one. Eno will handle it behind the scenes, automatically.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, bloviatrix said:

My son frequently comes to me and asks"what's your password" as he's noodling around the App store. I keep telling him we're not buying anything.

the Noodle (7) has been trying to get my passwords and pin numbers for 5 years

Does this belong here? Reasons to Be Happy? Depressing Stuff? Hmmm...

You can keep your sous vide. And neither David Chang nor Guy Fieri nor Andrew Zimmern has ever cooked like this (at least, I don't think). 

3 Visitors Banned From Yellowstone After Cooking Chickens in Hot Spring

Mr. Romriell, an ophthalmologist in Idaho Falls, Idaho, said in an interview on Tuesday that he hadn’t been aware that he was doing anything wrong. He took monthly camping trips as a scout master in Idaho for several years, he said, and each time, his troop tried creative ways of cooking their meals — something Mr. Romriell described as “how to not rough it while roughing it.”

They made milkshakes out of raspberry or huckleberry fruit they found while hiking, he said, or tied hot dogs to a rope and put them into hot springs to boil while they swam nearby.

If you need your eyes examined, find someone else!

• Thanks 1
On 11/10/2020 at 4:12 PM, joethefoodie said:

With chopsticks!

Dude, you are so rattled by me going Vegan.. I am like all you think about.  Every thread  i go to, you reference me.  It's a good thing I am so comfortable with myself..  I don't know if I would be upset or flattered. 

On 11/10/2020 at 4:24 PM, voyager said:

Son was boggled to learn his 6yr old had figured out how to put items in an Amazon cart.   Fortunately he hasn’t their password.   The amazing thing is that his kids had never been allowed access to computers until home schooling began in April.   
Teach them to read and give them a computer...

When my brother was ~6, he went to the store with one of my mom's blank cheques and tried to buy a GI Joe with it. He may have even scribbled in all the right places.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife is on the phone with a consultant discussing a trip to Disney World next October.   She’s now describing the food the Devil eats and what movies he likes.   I’m pretty sure when I was a kid, my parents just made a hotel reservation.  

8 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I don't think it would help much if said, "my preference is, not to get food poisoning."

I think that's what I said at that Atlantic City restaurant where my chicken was served still frozen in the center.