The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

He did get 5 free passes to use anytime in the future, as well as a refund for that one meal. But it was hard trying to get through the rest of the trip, especially since the two young'uns were in fine form, and just wanted to go on more rides.

It was the ground beef, by the way. The adults didn't even order the same dish, but they each had a dish that contained ground beef 

I do find it totally unfathomable that political consensus is that we prioritize the uber-elderly for Covid vaccine.   I recall a conversation with a new GP many years ago.   He was inquiring about my family history re heart, cancer, diabetes, et al, "Oh, yes," I tell him, "all of those!"    "Oh, my!   At what age?"   So I recite a range from mid 80s on.   He replies, "They didn't die from any of those.  They died of old age!"    So why do we celebrate blowing precious vaccine on a population that will reap such limited benefit?    And, yes, I'm close enough to this demographic to be objective.

life expectancy of a 90 year old woman is 5 more years and the likelihood of dying from Covid if contracted is like 15%-20%

Life expectancy of a 70 year old woman is 16 more years and the likelihood of dying if infected is 3%-4%

The real math I assume is more sophisticated, but that's kind of high level.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

I don't know the numbers, but intuitively Bonner is surely right. It's a utilitarian calculation. Better to reward 100 people with 5 extra years of life each than 10 people with 45 years.

It's early and before coffee, but I miss your logic.    Aren't we talking about the same 100 doses and therefore an equal number of younger people as old given the vaccine?

It’s more like, let’s say, 500 doses.  But out of a pool of 500 potential recipients, 100 (say) would be likely to die if they caught the disease if the 500 people in the pool were all elderly, but only 10 (say) would be if the 500 people were all youthful.  So you save 50 more years (using Wilf’s numbers) by giving the 500 doses to the elderly pool.

The numbers are made up and probably exaggerated, but that’s the analysis.