The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

Me neither. My thought upon reading the IG post was that the new place had copied the signage or named a sandwich the Heebster or something. But no - it's just a restaurant that sells the same kind of food. You can't really copyright that, can you? The Pearl Oyster Bar / Mary's Fish Camp thing was much more clearly an appropriation of a particular restaurant.

I looked at the IG post and if you look at the second photo from the new place you'll see that they're upset with the interior design of the place.

Frankly, what I think is more egregious is on the guy's web site he says he sells "hamentasch". If you're going to appropriate the food, get the language right.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, I missed that. But I really doubt anyone would confuse the two establishments based on wall tiles and the font of the signs. The exterior isn’t very similar, nor is the name. Perusing the IG comments, though, I see I’m in the minority.

I think my problem with R&Ds' position is that if your entire commercial identity is based on being the platonic ideal of a certain kind of business, you can't really complain if other similar stores try to resemble you.

17 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I think my problem with R&Ds' position is that if your entire commercial identity is based on being the platonic ideal of a certain kind of business, you can't really complain if other similar stores try to resemble you.

I think they're complaining about the extremely similar choice of color, metal, font, etc. and I wouldn't be surprised if the background is that they plan to have many more locations in the near future.

I would hope Russ & Daughters can count on people knowing that an establishment with a shtick-y name (like The Borscht Belt Delicatessen) is unlikely to be connected to them. Especially since the borscht belt did not run through New Jersey, and as has already been pointed out, the newer place is not even a delicatessen. But people are stupid, so maybe not.