The surrealism of everyday life

While I suppose you could technically have a kosher deli that serves both meat and appetizing, fish is usually lumped in with dairy because there are some proscriptions about having meat and fish on the same plate.  (Bloviatrix probably knows more about this than me.)  And in a kosher deli, you wouldn't be able to have herring in cream sauce or bagels with lox & a schmear.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

And in a kosher deli, you wouldn't be able to have herring in cream sauce or bagels with lox & a schmear.

How did these classics become so entrenched if in such defiance of dietary law?

Just now, voyager said:

There’s nothing unKosher about lox and cream cheese.  It’s just in conjunction with meat. 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

And in a kosher deli, you wouldn't be able to have herring in cream sauce or bagels with lox & a schmear.

I see you haven't had the pleasure of herring in pareve cream sauce.

6 minutes ago, voyager said:

In Kashruth, food is one of 4 categories - Meat and Dairy are self-explanatory. But then you have Pareve which is neutral and can be used with either. Fruits, vegetables, grains, are all pareve. Fish is pareve. However, the tradition is not to mix it with meat and if served at the same meal as meat you use separate plates and cutlery. The fourth category is, of course, Bacon, which is eaten while feeling extreme guilt (kidding).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mentally have a problem with the texture of raw herring.    Maybe not herring since I've avoided it, but definitely with raw mackerel.   I feel kind of like a cat when chomping down on a "toothsome" piece of raw fish.   No problem with raw salmon or white fishes, various shellfish.    I need to open a new window.    Would be funny but not unusual to have been wrong for all these years.

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

The fourth category is, of course, Bacon, which is eaten while feeling extreme guilt (kidding).

Don’t forget spareribs at the Chinese restaurant!

1 minute ago, joethefoodie said:

Don’t forget spareribs at the Chinese restaurant!

Perhaps it's better said that the fourth category is Treyf.

• Like 1

the collective energy a group of people who mostly already grok the whole deli thing have spent on this conversation over the last 15 years is truly unbelievable.

We argue about neighborhood definitions less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

(Katz's doesn't.  Do they?)

Just looked at the website. Yes, they serve Nova (and cream cheese & bagels).

Sarge’s serves a variety of appetizing: smoked fish and herring.  In the before time, we had the “Pick Two Combo” platter (Nova, Sable + accompaniments, including bagels) at the restaurant and delivered. Actually, very good.

19 hours ago, Orik said:

I think they're complaining about the extremely similar choice of color, metal, font, etc. and I wouldn't be surprised if the background is that they plan to have many more locations in the near future.

I found myself thinking, absurdly, that the deli in the Jewish Museum looks a lot like R&D. Then I remembered they owned it.