The surrealism of everyday life

2 hours ago, voyager said:

Yup, let’s bring back the “ good old days”!    It wasn’t so “great”.  

On our block we have 2 Chinese, 1  Indian, 1 Armenian, 2 Jewish, 1 Irish and around the corner. 2 Japanese. Not really integrated  but if you got the money. Honey,you got the house.   

not always the case, but i'm glad you enjoy your privilege

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, splinky said:

not always the case, but i'm glad you enjoy your privilege

I’m not sure that enjoy is the word, but we certainly appreciate the fact that were we not already here we would absolutely not be able to buy here now.    

15 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Those were the dog days!

I couldn't believe time and money was spent on that nonsense. Now there are a few dogs, but none of them cause any trouble as far as I know. Except for an ancient and evil pug that lunged at me once. Its owner is also a piece of work, so I don't know if I can hold the dog responsible for its own behavior.

Man you should have seen the old people in Peter Cooper and their hatred of dogs. Its the only place I've ever seen people who pay.2x resent people paying x.

Don't get me started on the squirrels. I hated living there so so so much.

Our downstairs neighbor was so crazy he called the police on a suspected Domestic Violence case one morning when the kids were loud before school. Thank god I was in India that day for business.

My very favorite thing about DogGate was the notices management would post by the elevators admonishing not the dog owners, but the people who tolerated them. It went something like "that little puppy you pet and admire is breaking the house rules." I ask you.

1 hour ago, small h said:

My very favorite thing about DogGate was the notices management would post by the elevators admonishing not the dog owners, but the people who tolerated them. It went something like "that little puppy you pet and admire is breaking the house rules." I ask you.

this is exactly how facist regimes fill their prisons

I always wondered about the true use of the Abraham Kazan Men's Health Club, next to the laundry room behind a door I've never seen open. Now I know - coop jail!

16 minutes ago, small h said:

I always wondered about the true use of the Abraham Kazan Men's Health Club, next to the laundry room behind a door I've never seen open. Now I know - coop jail!

the first rule of coop jail is no one talks about coop jail

• Like 1
11 hours ago, splinky said:

My dad (career Army) was turned away from Long Island Levittown, but I guess I should be thankful because he would have been serving overseas while our neighbors lit crosses on the lawn or worse. We were barred from living at Stuyvesant Town, any Trump buildings in Queens and Brooklyn, most Queens and Manhattan cooperative buildings. Unable to purchase in Levittown and similar planned communities. All he wanted was to settle his family in a safe community before going back overseas. In the end, we settled into a middle income public housing project in Queens, until he retired from the Army and took a job with federal law enforcement. 

Fun fact: My mother's home, which I inherited last year, contained a restrictive covenant prohibiting her from owning it. 

I knew about the restrictive covenants in Stuy Town and the original Levittown--I don't know if there were any in place in my Levitt development by 1963.  Or there may not have been an "official" one, but rather an unspoken one.  While there's been a Black community in the older, original part of my town since at least the early 19th century, the Levitt development (which replaced apple orchards) was pretty white. We had one black family and one mixed-race family on my block, both of whom moved in during the early 1980s.  My parents became good friends with the mixed-race family (he: white; she: Trinidadian of Black/Chinese/Indian heritage), as they were only 2 houses down from us and had a son my sister's age.

I've also read that technically, there are still restrictive covenants in place in many neighborhoods in the Bay Area, buried deep in the original deeds.  They're not enforced AFAIK, and I would bet you many homeowners have no idea they exist.

Yes, the NJ and other Levittowns had race related restrictive covenants.

In Shelley v. Kraemer, 334 U.S. 1 (1948),The Supreme Court ruled against racially restrictive covenants, and they were finally outlawed by the federal Fair Housing Act of 1968. The Fair Housing Act has subsequently been expanded to include other underserved communities. However, many restrictive covenants are still on the books as local laws and in contracts.

Some of the Levittown contracts had a bit of a loophole in that Levitt's contract promised that the Levitt Company wouldn't sell to non-whites, but in some of the developments there was no such restriction on resale by the purchasers, but since most owners agreed with the policy they upheld the covenants when selling. In Pennsylvania, the late 50s (1957?) a Jewish family resold a Levitt home to a Black family and all hell broke loose.

Fun fact: Prior to establishment of the Levittowns, Levitt (who was Jewish) sold homes with restrictive covenants against sales to Jews.