The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

you also have the "fun" towns that while they could "legally" ban Jews couldn't bring themselves to ban Catholics, but they did everything they could to discourage them from living there such as giving Protestants land for their churches while forcing the Catholics to buy the land. Bronxville, Garden City, etc.

Southampton (where the history as a resort town is basically Catholics who were not welcome in Newport finding a place of their own) even manages to have have two Catholic churches - the brick one for the Summer Colony and the Irish Staff, and a wooden one for the Poles.  The rich people even gave the Poles the money for their own church.

7 hours ago, Behemoth said:

Thanks for this discussion. My undergrad thesis was on discriminatory mortgage lending practices (based on post 1960‘s data) so I’m following with interest even if I don’t have much to contribute.

Common lending practices have certainly extended the spirit of restrictive housing covenants into present times, in concert with discriminatory practices by realtors and brokers.
Someday, I’ll tell you about the time I made a cash offer on a Queens coop where pretty much every shareholder had a mortgage and is or had been a civil servant. At the time I was an officer of a very fancy investment bank. My offer was accepted but my application never actually made it to their board. So much bad faith, especially by the broker. Their lawyer offered me options in other much nicer buildings he repped that weren’t “restricted”.

2 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

you also have the "fun" towns that while they could "legally" ban Jews couldn't bring themselves to ban Catholics, but they did everything they could to discourage them from living there such as giving Protestants land for their churches while forcing the Catholics to buy the land. Bronxville, Garden City, etc.

Southampton (where the history as a resort town is basically Catholics who were not welcome in Newport finding a place of their own) even manages to have have two Catholic churches - the brick one for the Summer Colony and the Irish Staff, and a wooden one for the Poles.  The rich people even gave the Poles the money for their own church.

This is America 

26 minutes ago, splinky said:

Common lending practices have certainly extended the spirit of restrictive housing covenants into present times, in concert with discriminatory practices by realtors and brokers.
Someday, I’ll tell you about the time I made a cash offer on a Queens coop where pretty much every shareholder had a mortgage and is or had been a civil servant. At the time I was an officer….

Wish I were surprised. 

31 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

Wish I were surprised. 

There’s a lot more to that story. And there are a myriad of “legal” ways to stop “undesirable “ cash buyers and interfere in a qualified prospective buyer’s ability to successfully obtain a mortgage or successfully close.