The surrealism of everyday life

On 6/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, Orik said:

I would find our fat cat fast asleep on my legs whenever there was a quake strong enough to wake us up in Tokyo. I don't know if it was sleeping skittishly.

I was just thinking of your big-boned cat the other day. And jtf's cat. I miss when people would post pet pics, not least because after 7 years, I still don't have one.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

8 hours ago, small h said:

I offer you Laszlo the Wonder Cat, a weird cat acting weird.

Aren't they all weird?

VGEN1818.thumb.JPG.b9d71b602f2fe58708551f1cf8c7fd0e.JPG

Wondering why, after bringing any number of toys into the hallway and in front of the kitchen door, no one is willing to play with her.

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Aren't they all weird?

I have had less weird cats. But yes, they are all somewhat weird.

11 hours ago, prasantrin said:

Asleep or awake?

Awake, and hoping to lure you into touching his ventral side, which gives him license to engage in a lively (and potentially injurious) rassle with your hand.

We had an infestation of pantry moths this spring.    I read that if you put/kept susceptible foods in the freezer it would kill the moth and larvae.   I recently pulled out a box of organic shredded wheat which is packaged as separately sealed bags of three biscuits.    I cut open a bag and out flew a moth.    W/hat the...

6 hours ago, voyager said:

We had an infestation of pantry moths this spring.    I read that if you put/kept susceptible foods in the freezer it would kill the moth and larvae.   I recently pulled out a box of organic shredded wheat which is packaged as separately sealed bags of three biscuits.    I cut open a bag and out flew a moth.    W/hat the...

Pantry moths, maggots, the plagues are upon us.

I recently found pinhead-sized orange bugs using my garden table as a playground. Clover mites, which I’ve never heard of. Kind of cute, harmless as long as they stay outdoors, but must be a terror to anyone with fabric on their outdoor furniture, because if you accidentally squash one it leaves a bright orange stain.

I am not trying to squash them. They live for two weeks, let them have some fun.

So yesterday we went on a joyride.    From Sheepranch to Railroad Flat to West Point to Sandy Gulch.   But we zigged when we should have zagged outside Railroad Flat.  Our road became less maintained asphalt, then gravel, then hard-packed red earth and boulders.   One wide lane.   We were several times "on top of the world looking down on creation" as well as in the bottom of the next canyon.
I thought we had reached the end of the trail but, no. just a ford over a creek.  So across it husband and his trusty Element forge.    We finally round a bend and both of us yell out, "STRIPING!"   And, yes, the road was now wide enough to suggest two lanes.    On we go, still with no idea where we are.  (We had lost cel service miles back.)  I was just hoping that we were going "someplace", irregardless of where, so that we wouldn't have to re-trace.   Then a sign says, "End of county road" and immediately after that, "Entering Indian Territorial Area".   A few houses, then in a couple of miles,"County road resumes".    We shortly come to a main road and are not awfully far from our destination, albeit the very long way around what should have 'been under 10 miles.    Back in SR, I found our route on a detailed map.    Our "road" was shown as a "trail".    They got that one right!

On 7/2/2021 at 9:40 AM, small h said:

I have had less weird cats. But yes, they are all somewhat weird.

Awake, and hoping to lure you into touching his ventral side, which gives him license to engage in a lively (and potentially injurious) rassle with your hand.

I thought he might be ready to attack, so I went with a chin scritch rather than a belly rub. Still, a very lovely boy!

• Like 1
On 7/2/2021 at 5:50 AM, joethefoodie said:

Aren't they all weird?

VGEN1818.thumb.JPG.b9d71b602f2fe58708551f1cf8c7fd0e.JPG

Wondering why, after bringing any number of toys into the hallway and in front of the kitchen door, no one is willing to play with her.

Have you gotten her a da bird? Best cat toy ever! 

If she ever needs a live playmate, I'd be happy to come over to play! I'd need plenty of warning, however, and will not be fully immunized until after the 14th! 

(And I really thought that toy on the left was a real dead mouse)

10 hours ago, prasantrin said:

Have you gotten her a da bird? Best cat toy ever! 

Not yet. That destroyed thing on the floor is her favorite. She drags it all around and yells for us to play - preferably at 3 AM. I was thinking of a live mouse for her next toy, but that's possibly a little cruel.