The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

16 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Not yet. That destroyed thing on the floor is her favorite. She drags it all around and yells for us to play - preferably at 3 AM. I was thinking of a live mouse for her next toy, but that's possibly a little cruel.

mayhaps a mouse with a terminal diagnosis who has opted for assisted suicide

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stone said:

I may not have a lot of gray hair, but yesterday I yelled at someone for riding his bike on the sidewalk.

I may be even older than you, and a few weeks ago I yelled at a number of people on Grand St.

"Adult" men, playing tag with their 3 kids - the adults were chasing the kids, and vice versa, while the adults were on electric scooters, on the sidewalk, in and out of people. Just fuck you, you morons.

Ok, I'm not sure if I've posted this.  I think I kept it as a trade secret.  But I'll let it out here.

Some day, I want to make pastrami and rye ice cream.  Steep Katz's pastrami in the milk.  Make the ice cream.  Fold in dices of rye and deli mustard swirl.

Brilliant.  

I was going to send the idea to Ben & Jerry, but they wouldn't split the profits with me.

47 minutes ago, Stone said:

Ok, I'm not sure if I've posted this.  I think I kept it as a trade secret.  But I'll let it out here.

Some day, I want to make pastrami and rye ice cream.  Steep Katz's pastrami in the milk.  Make the ice cream.  Fold in dices of rye and deli mustard swirl.

Brilliant.  

I was going to send the idea to Ben & Jerry, but they wouldn't split the profits with me.

I could see this as a dinner party starter.   

I seem to  remember dill pickle ice cream as part of a deconstructed "burger" ensemble at L'Astrance.

1 hour ago, Orik said:

Mads era Acme had a beer soaked rye with salted ice cream. No pastrami though. 

I'm pretty sure I had that, and it was good. Although I might be conflating it with the beer & rye porridge, which was also good. And...

73518521_icecream.jpg.2ef5b77e10e5a6ce47341d437391c61a.jpg

It was...fine. If I didn't know it was mac & cheese flavor ice cream, I wouldn't have been able to figure it out. Tasted mostly sweet, slightly sour, and pretty non-descript, overall.

2 hours ago, Orik said:

Mads era Acme had a beer soaked rye with salted ice cream. No pastrami though. 

1 hour ago, small h said:

I'm pretty sure I had that, and it was good. Although I might be conflating it with the beer & rye porridge, which was also good. And...

Those were good dishes!

There's no way (outside of science) to not have that ice cream (mac and cheese) be sweet, I don't think.

I recently made a salted peanut butter and chocolate ice cream that came out pretty good. Only a little science.

Meanwhile, I have one question about mac and cheese ice cream. WHY?

16 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Meanwhile, I have one question about mac and cheese ice cream. WHY?

I'm going with "marketing stunt." Anyway, there was no one but me at the Ludlow Street location, so - at least on the LES - it didn't work.

• Like 1

So I'm having dinner at the bar in this restaurant.  I'm sitting next to this guy who I think to myself kind of looks like Pete Wells.  I didn't think he WAS Pete Wells, mind you.  Just that the resemblance was notable.

Midway through my dinner, the guy turns to me and says, "My wife and I have decided that you're a secret New York Times restaurant reviewer."

I was like, YOU look a lot more like him than I do!

• Haha 2

Remember the old days when if you were a white male dining alone and taking photos of the food, the front of house would get hysterically over-excited and start sending out extra dishes?

(Okay you never took photos but you know what I mean.)