The surrealism of everyday life

Meanwhile, I am in a mild (80+ degrees) Atlanta, with some humidity, and all these people around me from Ohio and Milwaukee and Florida are dying from the heat and mugginess.

I am finding it very comfortable after the last two weeks in New York. But oh the sweaty performance art of it.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

if you were a white male dining alone and taking photos of the food, the front of house would get hysterically over-excited and start sending out extra dishes?

Grrr. White female here, often dined alone and took photos of the food. And got nothing but hit on by idjits. (I was cuter then. Now I'm left alone to pay for all my damn food without being bothered.)

13 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

So I'm having dinner at the bar in this restaurant.  I'm sitting next to this guy who I think to myself kind of looks like Pete Wells.  I didn't think he WAS Pete Wells, mind you.  Just that the resemblance was notable.

Midway through my dinner, the guy turns to me and says, "My wife and I have decided that you're a secret New York Times restaurant reviewer."

I was like, YOU look a lot more like him than I do!

Right -Alan Richman?

19 hours ago, small h said:

Grrr. White female here, often dined alone and took photos of the food. And got nothing but hit on by idjits. (I was cuter then. Now I'm left alone to pay for all my damn food without being bothered.)

Regrettably, no chance of FoH thinking a solo woman diner is a reviewer, Moira Hodgson and others notwithstanding.

4 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Regrettably, no chance of FoH thinking a solo woman diner is a reviewer, Moira Hodgson and others notwithstanding.

This is a grave injustice. I could be Helen Rosner. I could be Ruth Reichl. I could (have? maybe, in a dark room) be Restaurant Girl.

42 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

You're off base with this one. 

If "solo" is the qualifier, I have no argument.   Else, because of my questions, comments, note-taking, camera, I have several times had a chef come out from the kitchen having been told of someone's intense interest in the food.   This before today's ubiquitous iphone photographers.

File under: I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused. We went to hear some live music last night at a bowling alley/bbq joint. Naturally, non-bbq was not the point of the place, but there were several options for non-bbq-eaters like me & Medium-sized H.

I ordered the nachos. Oh, said our young waiter. Those aren't like the menu says. There's no guacamole and no beans. Also, it's not cheddar cheese, it's the movie theater kind. And I'm not sure we have sour cream.

I ordered the Impossible burger. The waiter went off to the kitchen and came right back. Yeah, we don't have that, he said.

I asked if the listed goat cheese pizza was available. No. Can you do a grilled cheese and tomato? He checked. Yes. It was fine. And the fries were also fine.

H ordered the cheese pizza, which was worse than anything I've had since...well, maybe ever. The frozen pizza at Dollar General is better.

The music was very good! But don't get a vodka/soda, 'cause the soda comes out of a bottle that's been open for a couple of hours.

So, back in the day, at the Bitter End, the menu was pretty overpriced.  But, in addition to the cover charge, you had to order something.  And there was no liquor license.  And we were all 15-18 back then.  And, my friend's brother was Tom Paxton's pianist.  And, I digress.

So, we all used to order ice cream sundaes and they weren't bad.  But, there, on the menu, was a "fishbowl of water".  The cheapest option.  And there was always some idiot who decided to save $1 or $2 by ordering it.  We all thought it was funny when they got exactly what they ordered.

No other point.  Your post just reminded me of that.  Carry on. 

6 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

And there was no liquor license.

Really? I've been going there since the mid-80s. Was this before that, or do I remember liquor where there was none?

1967-70 were my years going (did you expect that?).  Pretty sure they didn’t.

By the mid 80s, I had gone to college, married the ex, moved to St Louis, gone to Grad school, divorced the ex, moved back to NYC, met & started living with Ginny & was almost posting on CH.  Youngsta.

2 hours ago, small h said:

File under: I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused. We went to hear some live music last night at a bowling alley/bbq joint.

EC was playing at a bowling alley?! And I missed it!!!

Fortunately, I did catch him (and Questlove) at Brooklyn Bowl back in 2013...75072005_ECQuest.thumb.jpeg.a73c108f6fdf166396090f7f456375e7.jpeg

Just back from a 10 guy golf trip to Pinehurst. One of my friends gets a hole in one on Saturday. His hotel key has a picture of the same hole he had his hole in one. No one else in our group had that picture on our keys. BTW, Pinehurst has 162 holes and 36 Par 3's.