The surrealism of everyday life

Yesterday I had what I called a "ridiculously Bugs Bunny moment" in which I actually ran head first into a brick wall (see the Annoyances thread) on the way to my old office to pick up some personal mail. Today I opened the card that was the object of that particular trip. It was a Good Luck card from some of my former co-workers -- with Bugs Bunny on it. :rolleyes:

Fly

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

We were walking this morning and we saw a checker cab painted with the HSBC logo all over it, and we stopped to talk to the driver to find out what it was all about. This is a free cab service - if you can show your HSBC check or bank card or whatever, you can hop in this checker cab and go wherever you want for free in Manhattan. So we hopped on in and rode across town. The driver was very entertaining, and it was great to be inside a checker.

(When I was a kid, for a number of years our family car was a checker marathon station wagon).

We were walking this morning and we saw a checker cab painted with the HSBC logo all over it, and we stopped to talk to the driver to find out what it was all about. This is a free cab service - if you can show your HSBC check or bank card or whatever, you can hop in this checker cab and go wherever you want for free in Manhattan. So we hopped on in and rode across town. The driver was very entertaining, and it was great to be inside a checker.

(When I was a kid, for a number of years our family car was a checker marathon station wagon).

That seems like a good reason to be cheerful, too.

Leaving aside the subject matter, I thought Chris Mathews made a bold contribution to the language when he described the Abramoff business as an "octopus of mayhem".

Sounds silly at first, but the more you think about it... What a useful phrase.

Did you read the story today about the mouse who got revenge on the homeowner? Said homeowner found a mouse in his house, got rid of it by throwing it into a pile of leaves he was burning outside his house. The blazing mouse then ran back into his house and caught the home on fire. Fortunately the homeowner escaped uninjured, but his home was destroyed in the fire.

Leaving aside the subject matter, I thought Chris Mathews made a bold contribution to the language when he described the Abramoff business as an "octopus of mayhem".

Sounds silly at first, but the more you think about it... What a useful phrase.

He coulda gone for artichoke of the apocalypse.

I was closing up the restaurant last night, and as usual, the servers came to me with Things Customers Left Behind so I could drop them in our Lost and Found (whose contents are surreal enough). One of the Things Customers Left Behind was in a take-out bag, so we figured it was food and we could just throw it away.

It was actually some cheap hair jewelry, bad silver clips and beaded bobby pins, and a $2.99 weave. One that you braid into your own hair. So of course we had a little fun with these items, speculating wildly about their intended use, pretending the weave was a horse's tail, etc., and then I put everything back in the bag and placed it next to the dirty kitchen rags to take downstairs after I finished closing.

Phone rings and I answer. It's "Angie," who has to "perform" tonight and is certain she left something there. She says: "I sat down to braid my hair and I didn't have my hair. I think I left it in a bag there."

Then she says: "I know it's going to sound really weird, but I have to have that bag. Can you put it in a cab and send it to this address?"

She reads me an address and then she gives me a cell phone number. I tell her I hope the cab driver speaks some semblance of English and can understand my request. We laugh for a minute, she asks my name, hey, what can I say, I hit it off with a lot of different kinds of folks.

Then I walk out onto Milwaukee Ave. and hail a cab. Here is my exchange, verbatim, with the cab driver.

ME: Uh, this girl left this bag in my restaurant and she wants to know if you can drive it to this address (I hand him the piece of paper).

HIM: What is the bag?

ME: Uh, just call the number on the paper when you get there. Her name's Angie. She said there's a big tip involved.

HIM: (Grabs bag, peers inside) What is it? Is it drugs?

ME: Uh, dude, if it was drugs I would have kept it. It's just some fake hair. She's a dancer.

HIM: She is stripper! I will do it. Take my cab number in case anything goes wrong.

:rolleyes:

HIM: She is stripper!  I will do it.  Take my cab number in case anything goes wrong.

:rolleyes:

Now, what could go wrong?

That's the part that was surreal. Why would I get the guy's cab number? What did he think was going to happen?