The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Ergo, ABBA are...

Why, if Pink Floyd is?

24 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Einsturzende Neubauten (not sure...)

Buildings, so "are"?

I fear we will not solve this mystery any time soon!

I keep finding myself in the middle of jokes.

Many years ago, I was on the corner of 57th and 6th and a German tourist came up to me and asked if I could tell him how to get to Carnegie Hall.  (I didn't say it.)

Tonight, when I looked at my table setting at a restaurant, I noticed I had a dirty fork.  Fortunately, when I asked for a replacement, neither overly abject apologies nor violent reprisals ensued.

"...Many years ago, I was on the corner of 52nd and 6th and a German tourist came up to me and asked if I could tell him how to get to Carnegie Hall.  (I didn't say it.)" 

I have no such restraint.  At Dhamaka, when the rabbit was served to the table behind us, I asked the waiter if there was a soup course involved.  He said "no" and I said "too bad... I would've loved to order it and point out that there was a hare in my soup".  He didn't get it.  And no one at our table laughed.  But I did... inside.

2 hours ago, Steve R. said:

.... He didn't get it.  And no one at our table laughed.  But I did... inside.

Husband has suggested, begged, warned me to stop making light banter with ESL people.   At best they smile vaguely, at worst you've dug a hole too deep.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:38 PM, small h said:

Buildings, so "are"?

I fear we will not solve this mystery any time soon!

But the name doesn't refer to a number of buildings which make up the group. But then, does The Rolling Stones refer to a plurality of people?

Er... I agree.