The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

An old chorus friend of mine just got her cooking gas turned back on after 26 months.  I don't remember what the original issue in her building was, but it was compounded by the pandemic and the usual bureaucratic snarls endemic to NYC life and NYC co-op life.

I have a friend who is on year 3 of no gas. Other friends told me that last Friday Con Ed paid a visit to their building and now their gas has been shut off. Can you guess the first person they called for advice?

5 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Year 3?  Does your friend own, or is he a squatter?

You'd (perhaps) be surprised what happens when Con Ed turns the gas off to a building.

Other than whatever repairs may be needed, they also have to have access to all apartments to see how the gas in each apartment is working. Before they approve the turning back on of the gas. In buildings like ours, with over 400 apartment, that can be, ummmmmm, time consuming.

@bloviatrix - I'm sure you mentioned both portable induction and portable butane stoves? Along with a good countertop oven, maybe an Instant Pot, the Ninja all-in-One Oven. Or even the Ninja Indoor Grill!

image.png.15f1cb315ea5466eee9f27c712585048.png

image.thumb.png.50733603a101fa3449992a3cf3a30864.png

@hollywood - they own. It's a co-op. And @joethefoodie is accurate on the drill. Often, as ConEd starts poking around they discover other internal building work that needs to be done as well. So it's really a long nightmare.

And yes, my initial recommendation was for a pair of induction burners and a good countertop oven. Someone lent them an Instant pot. And I think they already owned a crock pot. Fortunately, they have ample counter space in their kitchen.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Other than whatever repairs may be needed, they also have to have access to all apartments to see how the gas in each apartment is working. Before they approve the turning back on of the gas. In buildings like ours, with over 400 apartment, that can be, ummmmmm, time consuming.

there are aways a few people who will refuse to let them into their apartments at all

7 hours ago, splinky said:

there are aways a few people who will refuse to let them into their apartments at all

Oh we've got those for sure, but I'm pretty sure after 24 hours notice, the coop can come in, invited or not.  That's when it gets scary!

6 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Con Ed, wild boars, or both?

Ha!