The surrealism of everyday life

I had some family and friends over for holiday brunch yesterday, and I decided to make something I remembered clearly from my childhood. My dad's coworker's wife used to make a vaguely Italian salad for gatherings, which contained a lot of stuff I liked: avocado, marinated artichoke hearts, provolone cheese, black olives. I always referred to it as Edith salad, and I looked forward to eating it every time we all got together. (Edith was pretty crazy and not a very nice person, so I didn't like her, just the salad.) Looks like this:

salad.jpg.5992e1bb4bfd3b4c75e645c6be188f26.jpg

I presented it proudly to my sister and my parents - Look! I made Edith salad. No one knew what the hell I was talking about. I texted my best friend at the time (her father was also my dad's coworker) to ask whether she remembered Edith salad. She said she remembered Edith making a lot of elaborate salads, but she didn't think Edith had a signature salad.

Did I dream this? The salad got wilt-y in about 15:00, so only a few people got to it before it ceased to be appetizing, and I ended up throwing most of it away. I'm gonna try this again next year and keep the lettuce separate. Maybe in a few years it will be known as small h salad, and then a few years after that, no one will have any recollection of it.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

The 3 Corning Ware blue cornflower casserole dishes with lids that I got from my parents last month are actually "new antiques".  That is, they'd never been taken out of the original 50-year-old packaging.  Knowing my mom, it actually surprised me that she hadn't used them, because she used a larger Corning Ware casserole dish a lot.

1 hour ago, StephanieL said:

The 3 Corning Ware blue cornflower casserole dishes with lids that I got from my parents last month are actually "new antiques".  That is, they'd never been taken out of the original 50-year-old packaging.  Knowing my mom, it actually surprised me that she hadn't used them, because she used a larger Corning Ware casserole dish a lot.

In the trade, that's called "mint in box", treasures.    Maybe think twice before taking their virginity.    Or, just enjoy.  

On 12/31/2021 at 7:38 PM, StephanieL said:

That's the real deal Corning Ware - use it!

• Like 1

I have just one blue cornflower Corning casserole with glass cover. Michael’s mother gave it to me shortly after he and I married. It wasn’t new. For whatever reason, she wasn’t using it. I have used it regularly for more than 50 years. 

I have segued from cornflower to all white but Corning is a workhorse in my kitchen.    Freezer to oven, stovetop (gravy from drippings), fridge to microwave.  Larger pieces now sub as roasting pans.   Big batches of starch (stuffing or Yorkshire).  Washes with a flick of sponge after a  few minutes soak.   Corning does it all.

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

Somewhere between cornflower and all white there was this set - my mom had pieces of this as well. (I have all white)

Corning Ware A-1 1/2-B Spice Of Life 1.5 Qt Casserole Dish ...

I have two small ones with that design. Lids are plastic. I discovered them when we cleaned out my mother’s Florida condo apartment (we were selling it) after we brought her up here in 2000. She must have bought them there because I don’t  recall her having them when she lived up here.* They were the only household items I took for myself. I use them a lot. 

*She moved to Florida after my father died in 1981. I never visited her. She would come up here once or twice a year.