The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

I think this fits under the surrealism of everyday capitalism. Saturday, I went to see The Wiggles with my daughter. These guys (and assorted gals) are an awesome Aussie money making machine. They've got their TV show, their videos, CDs, and merch, merch, merch. The show itself is intentionally predictable and entertaining I suppose if you're a 4 year old (and by the way the tickets are not cheap), but the merchandising is something else. Among numerous items on offer are artificial roses. One character Dorothy the Dinosaur really likes to eat roses (she says). So the kids' folks buy the roses, then Dorothy appears ands gets ecstatic about roses, then one of the Wiggles asks if any of the kids have brought any roses to give to Dorothy. Then, assistants are sent throughout the audience to gather roses to give to Dorothy. And she gets a lot. I wonder if they resell the roses or trash them. I suppose it would be crass if Dorothy said she liked money. Toot, toot, chugga, chugga, Big Red Car....

Sadly, I can sing that song. Not to mention, "Fruit salad, yummy yummy..."

I wonder what the effect of this hypnotic brainwashing will be on the coming generation of music lovers and concert goers. Will they rebel? Put Jeff to sleep permanently? Wake up, kids!

I have a nodding doll of Jeff.

The lead singer, whose name happily escapes me, is talented. On one of the TV shows, he duets with Tim Finn on a (slightly re-written) version of "Six Months in a Leaky Boat". Credit for that.

Everything is online. See if you can spot which of these men is NOT a Wiggle... (Clue: Look closely at the thumbs):

Tim%20Finn.jpg

Seen in the magazine rack while waiting on a checkout line in a New Jersey supermarket in an upscale neighborhood: "Pregnancy for Dummies."

I know that one. It comes with condoms that already have holes in them. What'll they think of next.

A mini-chain of Mexican eateries with the "tongue-in-cheek" name The Pink Taco is opening a new location in Scottsdale, Arizona. Of the original in Las Vegas, the owner says "I haven't had a single flap since the restaurant opened."

:lol: ;) ;) :P ;)

One of my office friends mentioned today that she'd told a coworker that she was thinking of going to Cambodia, and the coworker said "What's Cambodia?" ;) (We work for a travel company, so this is a little bizarre.)

I told her to explain that it's a big festival, like Burning Man. :lol:

On second thought, maybe I should have said it was a big store, like Target.

While heading to the library some guy walked past me and made a comment that sounded like "nice boobs." As I didn't respond, he then said "you're welcome" when I realized he actually said "nice boots." :lol: