The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

(a British Rail excuse)

Giving away your expat status there ;)

v

I find the destruction of British Rail (bad as it could sometimes be) too painful to contemplate so I will persist in imagining it never happened.

Another covertly political post.

(a British Rail excuse)

Giving away your expat status there ;)

v

I find the destruction of British Rail (bad as it could sometimes be) too painful to contemplate so I will persist in imagining it never happened.

Another covertly political post.

A very good idea as I can assure you that nobody here understands what has replaced it.

v

Received a date to appear to protest to parking ticket. Date to appear was three days before the "posted date" on envelope.;)

Last year, it took me 3 letters, numerous phone calls, and a visit to the Dept. of Transportation, over a period of 6 months, to get them to acknowledge that in fact I did not deserve a parking ticket that I'd been given erroneously. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not, but oh the experience.

Received a date to appear to protest to parking ticket.  Date to appear was three days before the "posted date" on envelope.;)

Last year, it took me 3 letters, numerous phone calls, and a visit to the Dept. of Transportation, over a period of 6 months, to get them to acknowledge that in fact I did not deserve a parking ticket that I'd been given erroneously. I'm not sure if it was worth it or not, but oh the experience.

This is in regard to 2 tickets (for the same puported offense) we received in August '04. It's gone on for so long that we don't even own a car anymore. :D

C'mon now. Welcome to NY. Last year I went out to get my car and it wasnt there. During the night, "they" had come and put up a new "No Parking Anytime" sign where I had parked. Next morning, car had been towed, cement still fresh on the signpost. I went to the pound, ransomed my car and put "NYC fundraiser" in the memo section of my check. Hey, it's cheaper than a parking space.

In our case they put up the signs the day after we parked (sunday) - hence the 2 tickets -- because according to the prior parking regs the car didn't need to be moved until Tuesday. To bolster our case, we requested work orders from the Dept. of Transportation.

I've beaten the one other ticket I received years ago. In that case the real challenge was getting the fine reimbursed. You can't reimbursed unless you have proof of paying the fine. But you can't get a hearing unless you pay the fine first. Therefore, if they overturn the ticket based on the hearing, shouldn't it be obvious you paid the fine?