The surrealism of everyday life

I don't really understand why Miley Cyrus is so popular, but I've been away from North America during much of her rise to frame.

Her dad has incessantly pimped her. You've missed nothing. Be grateful.

Too bad he didn't insist on her getting a decent education in addition to pursuing stardom. She sounds pretty empty-headed ("sounds", not necessarily "is"). Could she say "like" any more frequently?

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

yeah, I missed that part too.

Damn. That probably was the only scene I liked when I saw it in 1960 or '61.

Just kidding. That was the first musical I ever saw. Probably the reason I don't like musicals to this day, with only a few exceptions.

I don't really understand why Miley Cyrus is so popular, but I've been away from North America during much of her rise to frame.
Too bad he didn't insist on her getting a decent education in addition to pursuing stardom. She sounds pretty empty-headed ("sounds", not necessarily "is"). Could she say "like" any more frequently?

Hoo boy, channel surfing last night I caught a bit of L.A. Ink. I think it's fair to say that none of those people (artists or customers) turned down Rhodes Scholarships because they felt compelled to express their creativity through tats.

My critical opinion is that she's a talented and charismatic pop singer, her character Hannah Montana was ingeniously designed to appeal to its intended audience - the whole idea of a regular girl-next-door secretly being a superstar is a perfect fantasy - but she's not a subtle actress. She gets laughs by mugging as outrageously as Darrin on Bewitched, and her whole show seems very old-fashioned. Her contemporaries, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez, are much better actresses, and actually really funny when they get some good lines.

Oh yes, I've seen countless hours of this stuff.

For the skeptics, Demi Lovato's check-it-out girls sketch. Tell me this isn't well done.

Her contemporaries, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez, are much better actresses, and actually really funny when they get some good lines.

In your assessment, how often would that happen? We shouldn't hold our breath, I'm guessing?

Wizards of Waverley Place is pretty well written, really. The episode where her brother finds out he's dating a werewolf. Well, it's funny.

Aren't you the one who makes fun of Mongo for liking the Lord of the Rings movies?

Wizards of Waverley Place is pretty well written, really. The episode where her brother finds out he's dating a werewolf. Well, it's funny.

weird coincidence - was out walking the pup yesterday and a French family stopped and asked me for directions. They were looking for the subway and attempting to find the locale for "La sorcieres de Beverley Place" I wonder why Waverly became Beverley. I told them I had no idea where beverly was. We were standing on the corner of Christopher, Grove, and Waverly. Oh well now I feel bad. Sent them to the SATC house instead.

weird coincidence - was out walking the pup yesterday and a French family stopped and asked me for directions. They were looking for the subway and attempting to find the locale for "La sorcieres de Beverley Place" I wonder why Waverly became Beverley. I told them I had no idea where beverly was. We were standing on the corner of Christopher, Grove, and Waverly. Oh well now I feel bad. Sent them to the SATC house instead.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gives tourists completely off-the-wall directions only to realize it the moment they disappear from sight. (I've noticed I get asked a lot more frequently now that I have the dog -- I should probably learn where things actually are.)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gives tourists completely off-the-wall directions only to realize it the moment they disappear from sight. (I've noticed I get asked a lot more frequently now that I have the dog -- I should probably learn where things actually are.)

dogs typically give very bad advice. see: son of sam

My critical opinion is that she's a talented and charismatic pop singer, her character Hannah Montana was ingeniously designed to appeal to its intended audience - the whole idea of a regular girl-next-door secretly being a superstar is a perfect fantasy - but she's not a subtle actress. She gets laughs by mugging as outrageously as Darrin on Bewitched, and her whole show seems very old-fashioned. Her contemporaries, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez, are much better actresses, and actually really funny when they get some good lines.

Oh yes, I've seen countless hours of this stuff.

Agreed. Hannah is a natural on stage.

Same here, many more hours than I care to remember. I can't stand them anymore. At this point they make me cringe more than Barney ever did and I really hated that mother fucker.

Aren't you the one who makes fun of Mongo for liking the Lord of the Rings movies?

Anyone (and I don't accuse Mongo of making a similar case for the hobbit saga) who advances an argument that Wizards of Waverley Place is a classic of modern drama will suffer my ridicule.

I was suggesting it was quite well-written and funny for a kids' TV show. :huh:

Same here, many more hours than I care to remember. I can't stand them anymore. At this point they make me cringe more than Barney ever did and I really hated that mother fucker.

Yeah, with those arms someone must have been wiping his ass for him. It's the children I felt sorry for.