The surrealism of everyday life

I dunno, Intel RMX? Solaris? Even ignoring the relative instability of Windows, its security model always seemed like it was designed by spiders on acid.

I would have thought that they would be transitioning over to Linux in the last five years now that is sort of "proven" (not really what I mean but you know what I mean) - most of these systems were created 10-15 years ago when the industry started to move away from the old model to the current networked infrastructure "System" stuff and back then MSFT was even more dominant then it was today - especially when it comes to making nice GUI's that play well with those off-the-rack Dell desktops. I'm sure the sales and marketing guys (and that is ALWAYS who runs these businesses) were pushing the engineers hard to come up with something pretty as fast as they could. Besides I bet it's even easier for someone to attack the off the rack CSCO wireless devices these guys are pushing on new installations and wreck havoc that way.

I don't really pay any attention to this stuff anymore - but hopefully the industry has realized using windows is a mistake - but the lifecycle on this stuff is pretty long - so unless the guys with the installed bases decide to abandon windows we'll be stuck with this for a while.

ETA - Actually the really amusing thing is that there is a likely candidate for who made the system for Iran's enrichment program - and their system appears to be addressable in BASIC

The process control guys won't embrace Linux in any real sense. I'd say that they are happier than ever with Windows since Win7 came out.

Wireless is an interesting security challenge for these folks. There are wireless control network extensions and they are typically not mission-critical sort of stuff so you can tolerate an outage. The wireless field device networks are gaining popularity and are fairly secure because of the way they are designed. Again, these things aren't running main reactor cooling or anything but they are out there at real operating facilities (pharma and petro-chem mostly).

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

Yup, that's just how I'd run my illegal uranium enrichment program that's being targeted by everyone in the universe - Windows 7, wireless networks... maybe let employees browse the web from the same boxes so as not to inconvenience them.

You'd be amazed at the number of outside connections there are into these control networks. I imagine that even in Iran there are turf battles and gray lines between the IT department and the control system engineers at industrial facilities.

I am genuinely amazed.

I wonder how many countries have just started committees to check where they have similar setups :)

I suspect the only thing that has kept the Military from being similarly vulnerable through Windows is institutional inertia. I believe I've seen screen shots of drones being run off of windows though.

Bodnar says there will be a similar device for men.

It figures: assuming the male equivalent is a cup*, the guy will save only himself while the woman can save someone else as well.

* Ewwwwwww.

What if it's shaped like an elephant's head? You can take the ears apart and then you'll have two, plus the trunk (but the trunk part won't be much good).

And you're right. Ewwwwwwwwwwww!

I am genuinely amazed.

I wonder how many countries have just started committees to check where they have similar setups :)

I suspect the only thing that has kept the Military from being similarly vulnerable through Windows is institutional inertia. I believe I've seen screen shots of drones being run off of windows though.

Drone transmissions are often analog and not encrypted - supposedly the adversary already knows what he's up to :)

You're right about the inertial/dogmatic aspect, but sometimes it works.

I am genuinely amazed.

If only.

Windows for nuclear submarines

Wasn't there a US ship that had to be towed back to port a few years back, because it's MS based systems crashed?

I was reading that, due to new EU regulations recently adopted in the UK, no one is allowed to work more than 48 hours, anywhere, in any profession. Apparently overtime, paid or otherwise, is now illegal.

One immediate consequence is that people are dying in emergency rooms because there are no longer enough doctors and medical staff to treat them.

Is this for real? I don't believe that I was reading The Onion.