The surrealism of everyday life

I'm spending the long weekend down at the Jersey Shore. Last night the temperature dropped down to 45. On May 25th. Unreal.

I was in Middletown today for a BBQ and I couldn't believe how cold and windy it was. So windy, in fact, that a small tree snapped in two (fortunately not hurting anyone or anything).

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

citibike launches today

i'm still trying to understand why a mayor who fights tooth and nail to stop citizens from drinking big sodas, thinks riding a bike through nyc without a helmet is a-ok.

fat bad / traumatic brain injuries good?

From Sunday's NY Times Q&A about the NYC bike share program.

Q. Are helmets required?

A. No. The city encourages their use, but officials say a requirement would discourage ridership.

The mayor views head injuries as a form of collateral damage in service to a greater good.

citibike launches today

i'm still trying to understand why a mayor who fights tooth and nail to stop citizens from drinking big sodas, thinks riding a bike through nyc without a helmet is a-ok.

fat bad / traumatic brain injuries good?

From Sunday's NY Times Q&A about the NYC bike share program.

Q. Are helmets required?

A. No. The city encourages their use, but officials say a requirement would discourage ridership.

The mayor views head injuries as a form of collateral damage in service to a greater good.

i can feel my insurance premiums and taxes rising, as bankers and lawyers crack their heads wide open on the way to their fancy offices, even as i type this

As taught by the experience of biking cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, if there are sufficient bike lanes (which there aren't here), the risk of injury from riding without a helmet is not very great. OTOH, bike use increases with the elimination of ritual and impediments.

The drivers here will not like this, but we need more (and more clearly segregated) bike lanes. (And the more there are -- and the more clearly segregated they are -- the more universally will bikers actually use them.)

The City can't claim it didn't know. In a joint study by the New York City Departments of Health, Parks and Recreation, Transportation, and the New York City Police Department which reviewed bicycle deaths in the city from 1996 to 2005 they found that 97% of cyclists who died weren't wearing helmets.

Study

The city knows but they think the benefits outweigh the risks.

As taught by the experience of biking cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, if there are sufficient bike lanes (which there aren't here), the risk of injury from riding without a helmet is not very great. OTOH, bike use increases with the elimination of ritual and impediements.

The drivers here will not like this, but we need more (and more clearly segregated) bike lanes. (And the more there are -- and the more clearly segregated they are -- the more universally will bikers actually use them.)

which expensive real estate will you be tearing down to widen the city streets? eminent domain, right?

also look forward to people carrying long poles and 12 foot 2x4s, in city traffic on these bikes to avoid store delivery fees.

and lawsuits from idiots whose babies are killed because they strap their kid into baby bjorn, hop on a citibike and cut off a city bus

At this point we're just going to have to let the program run for awhile and then look at the numbers. Total ridership, injuries, etc.

that's fine, but if i get hit by a flying baby or ikea closet system component, i'm totally suing, the city, citibank and mastercard

Lawn. Get Off It.

No requiring helmets is a bet that people are more likely to use bikeshare w/o helmets, and the more people who use bikeshare the more cars are forced to be aware of the bikes, which makes it safer for everyone.

Its basically a big traffic calming exercise - which in turn encourages people to not drive into the city - because we can't get nice things like congestion pricing and tolls on the east river crossings - which would really keep cars our of the city.

I'd also like to see the end of all free parking in Manhattan.

As taught by the experience of biking cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen, if there are sufficient bike lanes (which there aren't here), the risk of injury from riding without a helmet is not very great. OTOH, bike use increases with the elimination of ritual and impediments.

which expensive real estate will you be tearing down to widen the city streets? eminent domain, right?

you take traffic lanes. That's the idea.

If you make roads smaller and slower less people drive.