The surrealism of everyday life

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have threads for annoyances and what made us cheerful, but then there's those weird things that happen.....   My workplace is particularly fertile ground for the surreal. 2 current examples:

Yeah, me too.   As soon as I'm a real member, I'll upload a real avatar.   Or did you mean my sig?

You talkin' to me?

Posted Images

Today at work one of my customers said she wished we still carried the old (shitty) vegan carrot cake, as opposed to the new (actually pretty tasty) one. When I asked her why, truly boggled, she said: "because the new one tastes too real, and it scares me."

Usually, I get: "this soy ice cream doesn't taste creamy enough," but this one really threw me.

Today at work one of my customers said she wished we still carried the old (shitty) vegan carrot cake, as opposed to the new (actually pretty tasty) one. When I asked her why, truly boggled, she said: "because the new one tastes too real, and it scares me."

Usually, I get: "this soy ice cream doesn't taste creamy enough," but this one really threw me.

I don't even know where to begin to think about her saying it tastes too real, or that a dessert would scare her.

Tell her she scares me. Fanx.

Today at work one of my customers said she wished we still carried the old (shitty) vegan carrot cake, as opposed to the new (actually pretty tasty) one.  When I asked her why, truly boggled, she said: "because the new one tastes too real, and it scares me."

I don't even know where to begin to think about her saying it tastes too real, or that a dessert would scare her.

Tell her she scares me. Fanx.

Well, I believe she meant that the frosting tasted too non-vegan, so that made her think that some Evil Food Demon may have possibly been slathering the vegan cakes with Real Buttercream, instead of Shortening Abomination, but you would be surprised how many of my vegan customers are suspicious. So many of them, in fact, that I had to try the vegan cakes. They're not . . . real, but they're not that bad, either. Our baker is quality. I haven't brought myself to try the vegan cookies yet. They're so wan, stiff, and without love. ;)

What is more surreal to me is the incredible amount of vegans who complain that their non-dairy drinks don't taste "creamy" enough. Several times I have felt compelled to explain the concept of "dairy" to these people, but in the interest of good taste, I have refrained.