Out in one of the garage storage boxes, I have IIRC two chemexes - one large and one smaller. I even have the big brush designed to swirl around in the chamber to clean off any oil residue. Now ask me why, as a tea-totaller for the last 45 years, I have kept these. I think it's due not only to the hoarder in me, but also to their clean lines. I have pulled them out for dinner parties where I might serve coffee, and have on occasion used them as a water carafe. And I do have a square Salton warmer somewhere in another box....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Pretty cool (heh) hot-tray! I want one.

I recently stopped buying coffee at coffee-shops because of reflux (well, and expense). But I miss it. If I use one of these oil-keeping-out systems, will I be able to avoid the, erm, unpleasantness?

reflux is a beyotch. i only drink coffee occasionally because of it and try to avoid late night coffee. aciphex is helpful for when i desperately have to have after dinner coffee. also check out stomach friendly coffees

Wow. Pretty cool (heh) hot-tray! I want one.

I recently stopped buying coffee at coffee-shops because of reflux (well, and expense). But I miss it. If I use one of these oil-keeping-out systems, will I be able to avoid the, erm, unpleasantness?

reflux is a beyotch. i only drink coffee occasionally because of it and try to avoid late night coffee. aciphex is helpful for when i desperately have to have after dinner coffee. also check out stomach friendly coffees

Ooh, thanks, splink! All very useful information.

I love my Chemexes. I have one in my office and one at home, and it is my favorite method of brewing coffee (leaving espresso aside). I use it every day.

One of the best things about it is how easy to clean it is. Most other brewing methods involve plastic or steel or some form of mesh, and those materials can be extremely difficult to clean thoroughly of coffee oils that quickly become stale and rancid.

As Lippy and others have posted, the downside of the Chemex (other than the fact that it is somewhat labor intensive) is that the coffee will not stay hot for long unless you pour the coffee into an insulated thermos, but coffee is best enjoyed fresh after brewing anyway, IMHO.

Also, you can get your Chemexed coffee to stay hot longer if you preheat your Chemex carafe. I do this by pouring 8 oz. or so of hot water through the paper filter into the carafe and then pouring the water right back out into the sink, leaving the filter sticking to the walls of the carafe. This also operates to pre-soak the filter and eliminate some of the "papery" taste that some people complain of when using paper filters.

The Chemex makes a coffee that is very clear and pure, with no sediment. It is not a good vessel at all for stale or overroasted coffee, as it tends to magnify those flaws. Don't bother getting one unless you are grinding coffee immediately before brewing, and using coffee that is not over-roasted, and that is within a week or two of its roasting date.

I know this is coffee maker heresy, but I pass along an untested (at least by me) tip from Cooks Illustrated magazine. They recently tested several automatic coffee makers and found a number of them either had too long a brew time or failed to heat the water to the ideal temperature range (this list included the sister to the one I have at home, and also the same machine we use at work). They tried brewing coffee in those underachieiving machines starting with water that had been preheated on the stove to 100 degrees F, and found the flavour "improved significantly - even with a too-long brew time." This contradicts manufacturers' instructions to add regular cold water to these coffee makers, but apparently improves the end product.

• 4 months later...

This seems like a nice thread to post my question, rather than starting a new thread & burdening our overworked admins with more organizational problems on MFF. Here it is:

Does anyone have any opinions on whether a filter coffee maker (Chemex / Melitta) is better than a French press (Bodum) for brewing 2-3 cups at a time & drinking them sequentially?

I am mostly a tea drinker, mostly. But lately the coffee cravings have come upon me with increasing frequency & I find self having the stuff ever more often.

Problem: our only coffee maker is a big honking 8-cup Melitta which we use when company comes over & wants coffee. Very inconvenient for brewing 2-3 cups at a time for my personal consumption. So I would like a nice little 3-cup contraption.

I am intrigued by the French press, never having tried one. But it seems to me that, brewing 3 cups at a time & pouring them out one by one, the coffee pressed into the bottom will continue to brew & you'll get progressively stronger cups, possibly to the point of being unpalatable. True?

Perhaps a nice little Melitta or Chemex is preferable for this particular use.

tease. i surely thought that a new post in this thread could only be an announcement that someone has decided to gift me with a vintage chemex

I was saving that for your birthday.

Oops, there goes the surprise. Now I'll have to give it to someone else.

tease. i surely thought that a new post in this thread could only be an announcement that someone has decided to gift me with a vintage chemex

only 1 shopping day left, buster. get it together

In that case you get the Chemex after all. I have a book sale to attend tomorrow.

In that case you get the Chemex after all. I have a book sale to attend tomorrow.

I WIN!

You can buy one of those little plastic[Melitta?]cone filter tops,and use it with paper filters right on top of your coffee cup at very low cost.I've been using the stove top espresso pots happily for years-you can use a milder blend,as long as it is ground correctly,and make small amounts fresh coffee whenever the mood hits you.

You can buy one of those little plastic[Melitta?]cone filter tops,and use it with paper filters right on top of your coffee cup at very low cost.I've been using the stove top espresso pots happily for years-you can use a milder blend,as long as it is ground correctly,and make small amounts fresh coffee whenever the mood hits you.

sometimes you can get those one cup melittas packaged with a complimentary mug at the supermarket. i like my mini bodum press for a sunday morning coffee for two but the melita is probably best for you. one cup at time but a quality cup, no overprocessing. there is also a mini chemex. they call it a 3 cup but it's one big american mug.