i'm thinking about tackling the reupholstering of a vintage 50's dinette set and i'm looking for sources of vintage or reproduction oilcloth. i'm looking for inexpensive sources but wonder if there's anywhere more local than mexico where one can find cheap patterned oilcloth. ideas?

these are the sorts of patterns that i think would work:

Paradise%20Lace%20Silver.jpg

Pompeii%20Brown.jpg

Faux%20Bois%20Birch.jpg

Oranges%20Green.jpg

Tuscan%20Red.jpg

Paris%20Tan__scaled_120.jpg

Hibiscus%20Yellow.jpg

older patterns

have you checked second hand rose?...www.secondhandrose.com

thanks, i've shopped there for other things but they tend to be insanely overpriced. i especially love their selection of vintage linoleums.

i'd like to spend under $5 a yard if possible

They stocked them at the local fabric shop before they closed. A quick look on line shows it should not be too difficult - but maybe not in your neighborhood?

$7.50 / yard out of SF: http://www.mendels.com/fabrics10.shtml ($5.00 gets you remnants.)

this might be of interest too: http://www.flickr.com/groups/641197@N23/di...57603705813933/

I'm not at home right now, but I have a card at home from a guy I bought some oilcloth from at Brimfield. In fact, I bought some of one of the patterns you show, the red background. I've been using them as cloths for demos. He also has a few of the other ones you picked, including that lacey looking one. He sells for $8 a yard, and he'll ship. He doesn't have a website, he'll just send you to other websites, and tell you which itmes #'s he has. In fact, you could send him your swatches, and he'd probably be able to get them. I'll post his info tomorrow, when I get back to my desk...

You sure you want oilcloth for seats? I'm thinking oilcloth tablecloths maybe. Didn't the chrome dinnette seats have much stronger naughahyde-like stuff? I'm thinking of the one I had . . .

Good point - I think you would have a better-than-average chance that oilcloth would crack under usage.

Well it snags, too. Anyone with a comb in their back pocket could wreck it. Our local hardware store sells it and Home Depot probably does. There are different thicknesses, though. Now that I think back, my mother did have a heavy duty tablecloth that could make decent seat covers. I was thinking about my own green-flecked chrome kitchen table. Sorry for the distraction! If you know of Mexican sources, visit cristina and sign up for a tour. Bet she'd know.

You sure you want oilcloth for seats? I'm thinking oilcloth tablecloths maybe. Didn't the chrome dinnette seats have much stronger naughahyde-like stuff? I'm thinking of the one I had . . .

Good point - I think you would have a better-than-average chance that oilcloth would crack under usage.

i dunno, my grandmother always used oilcloth when recovering but i have no idea how long it lasts because she liked to change the covers to match seasonal changes to placemats and valances. the stuff was so inexpensive then that she changed it pretty regularly but i haven't been able to find any of the pre-cut seat covers or remnants in her fabric stash. naugahyde or microfiber could work as well, i suppose.

Well it snags, too. Anyone with a comb in their back pocket could wreck it. Our local hardware store sells it and Home Depot probably does. There are different thicknesses, though. Now that I think back, my mother did have a heavy duty tablecloth that could make decent seat covers. I was thinking about my own green-flecked chrome kitchen table. Sorry for the distraction! If you know of Mexican sources, visit cristina and sign up for a tour. Bet she'd know.

Well, Rebecca, as luck would have it I priced oilcloth (the designs with fruits, flowers, veggies, etc, on a variety of background colors) just last week. It costs 50 pesos (about $4.50 USD) per meter (a meter is 39 inches, for you metrically challenged folks). A meter of oilcloth measures approximately 48" wide.

I have sources and I could easily ship a package to anyone who wants some. Shipping would be via UPS, and it's not cheap, but the total price for the oilcloth plus shipping would still be less than the prices that people are paying for this oilcloth in the USA.

Of course any of you is welcome to come visit!

I just remembered - a designer who was working with me on a kitchen / family room remodel covered a banquette with the fabric of her choice and then had it coated to be washable. I don't know what the process is (or costs), but that opens the world of choices. Not sure how it held up either.

But if you don't mind not being matchy, the remnants for $5.00 per yard might work great.

i think i may have found a source for oilcloth here in the states at close to mexico prices. too bad, i'm not likely to get to st. louis, mo, anytime soon. i'd love to see the fabric close up before buying. this store also carries vinyl and naugahyde. not sure which type of vinyl would work best if i use that instead of oil cloth