Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The best band or act you've ever seen?

The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, Pink Floyd, Prince, The Who, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Kiss, AC/DC, Nirvana or someone else?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

You can vote for any act, just go to 'other' on the list.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

james brown, patti labelle, the clash and michael jackson before he became a small white girl. elvis costello used to put on a nice show, once upon a time

I'd like to put in a kind word for Ike and Tina Turner.

2YAfqZk7P1M

I'm not sure that 'greatest live act ever' necessarily translates into the best gigs any one of us has actually seen.

I saw James Brown once and he was pretty amazing but I think the single best live peformance I have ever seen might have been Talking Heads back in the day at the old tennis stadium in Forest Hills. Liza was there as well, I believe.

I've seen U2 a few times. When they're on, they're pretty damn good. Ditto for David Bowie.

The best thing I've seen in the past few years was probably The Gang of Four a couple of years ago.

james brown, patti labelle, the clash and michael jackson before he became a small white girl. elvis costello used to put on a nice show, once upon a time

I'd like to put in a kind word for Ike and Tina Turner.

2YAfqZk7P1M

was just listing the contenders that i've seen live. but ike and tina would be certainly have made my list if i'd been so lucky as to catch them live

Queen is in the lead, followed by Led Zeppelin.

I never saw LZ live, only concert footage. I know I am in the minority but, while I admire their technical skill and enjoyed some of their albums, they frankly struck me as being the most boring and least sexy live act ever. Poor Jimmy sweated like a faucet and I just wanted to smack Robert Plant's smug face (after making him button his shirt).

I suppose it doesn't help that I can't even think about LZ without thinking of this:

ApxnAr6pRt0

Queen is in the lead, followed by Led Zeppelin.

I never saw LZ live, only concert footage. I know I am in the minority but, while I admire their technical skill and enjoyed some of their albums, they frankly struck me as being the most boring and least sexy live act ever. Poor Jimmy sweated like a faucet and I just wanted to smack Robert Plant's smug face (after making him button his shirt).

I suppose it doesn't help that I can't even think about LZ without thinking of this:

ApxnAr6pRt0

i'm sad that i missed my chance for queen. bowie didn't do it for me, live.

Dr Feelgood at the Marquee Club were pretty good, as were Eddy and the Hotrods. Probably have to go with Talking Heads at Newcastle Uni around 1978.

(Are we talking about personal experience here? if not, then The Band's Last Waltz.)

ApxnAr6pRt0

Me either! And not only that but I can't help the uncontrollable laughter that comes with it. It cracks me up so much that SeaGal gave me an apron with that picture on the front!

Dr Feelgood at the Marquee Club were pretty good, as were Eddy and the Hotrods.

Certainly they were two of the most thrilling live bands I ever saw, although the Hot Rods never really transferred to record, and the Feelgoods hardly did.

I'll take the Feelgoods' hometown gigs at the Kursaal.

I find it hard to separate this from specific gigs. The Clash were incredible at some of their early gigs, but I wouldn't class them as one of the great live acts over the course of their career.

I remember the unsigned Police hanging around the dressing room at the Vortex. I must have been there to see someone else; I found the sight of the Police slightly ridiculous and didn't bother catching their set.

If I had to make that decision again...I wouldn't change it.