I just can't get into them.. I dont think I have had a Beaujolas I really enjoyed.. I especially have a problem with the Young ones that are raced across the Atlantic.. Can anyone recommend some good ones..

I just can't get into them.. I dont think I have had a Beaujolas I really enjoyed.. I especially have a problem with the Young ones that are raced across the Atlantic.. Can anyone recommend some good ones..

Are you referring to the Gaiter/Brecher article "The Gift of Beaujolais" in today's WSJ?

"Pretty much everyone who loves wine loves Beaujolais . . . not Beaujolais Nouveau . . . Real Beaujolais, which arrives about a year after the harvest, is one of the most perfect wines around: easy to drink, versatile with food, inexpensive. It's a good reminder why we fell in love with wine in the first place - - it simply tastes good. It's refreshing, it's fun, it's easy and it tastes like grapes." Quite interesting http://online.wsj.com/article/tastings.html :rolleyes:

More on the subject

There's a brouha in Beaujolais about vinification, alcohol levels, sweeetness, etc. One maker I especially like is Jean-Paul Brun, who is mentioned in the WSJ article. His Beaujolais à l'Ancienne from Domaine des Terres Dorées costs $12. It's lighter, a little thinner, and less syrupy to me. I think we have a thread somewhere about how the forces of the heavy, syrupy wines are changing the "official" definition of a Beaujolais.

Jean-Paul Brun

While not from Beaujolais...

had a Loire red...2005 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges that was delicious this week.

Go to Chambers Street Wines and ask for suggestions

Have you tried the Anjou red, La Soucherie (?) from Rosenthal? Knockout for the price.

There's a big push to re-establish the reputation of Beaujolais as a serious wine right now (well, after all, it's sort of in Burgundy...). Call me cynical, but it might just have something to do with creating a reason to push the prices up.

Daniel: Try the following wines (all available at Chambers Street Wines). These are admittedly more pricey than the cheapo supermarket Nouveau stuff that has the colorful flower labels and smells like bananas and bubblegum, but if you try all these wines and still don't like Beaujolais after that, then go back and try them again until you come to your senses:

Coudert (Clos de la Roilette) 2007 Fleurie Clos de la Roilette

$22.99

Coudert (Clos de la Roilette) 2007 Fleurie Cuvee Tardive

$25.99

Descombes, Georges 2006 Morgon

$22.99

Desvignes 2006 Morgon Javernières

$25.99

Terres Dorees (Jean-Paul Brun) 2007 Fleurie

$20.99

Tete 2006 Juliénas Prestige

$27.99

Vissoux (Pierre-Marie Chermette) 2007 Beaujolais Cuvée Traditionelle Vieilles Vignes

$16.99

.... the cheapo supermarket Nouveau stuff that has the colorful flower labels and smells like bananas and bubblegum....

It's a shame that the American perception of Beaujolais it the result of the very successful promotion of the first autumn release. In France, this is a tasting rather than a serious bottling. At the source, it's not even considered wine, just celebratory grape juice. It is fun to participate in this harvest rite, but shouldn't influence our understanding or appreciation of the wines from the region.

Marty's suggestions will get you a bottle of decent stuff.

The UK has exactly the same perception. The arrival of the Beaujolais Nouveau is a bit like St Patrick's Day in London bars.

I received a catalog just yesterday which sought to persuade me that Cru Beaujolais wines, with bottle age, can often drink "more like Burgundy" than Beaujolais. Maybe so, but such promotion tends to remind me that I prefer Burgundy if I can afford it.

Daniel: Try the following wines (all available at Chambers Street Wines). These are admittedly more pricey than the cheapo supermarket Nouveau stuff that has the colorful flower labels and smells like bananas and bubblegum, but if you try all these wines and still don't like Beaujolais after that, then go back and try them again until you come to your senses:

Coudert (Clos de la Roilette) 2007 Fleurie Clos de la Roilette

$22.99

Coudert (Clos de la Roilette) 2007 Fleurie Cuvee Tardive

$25.99

Descombes, Georges 2006 Morgon

$22.99

Desvignes 2006 Morgon Javernières

$25.99

Terres Dorees (Jean-Paul Brun) 2007 Fleurie

$20.99

Tete 2006 Juliénas Prestige

$27.99

Vissoux (Pierre-Marie Chermette) 2007 Beaujolais Cuvée Traditionelle Vieilles Vignes

$16.99

You hit the head right on the nail.. I have only drank that flower bottle crap.. For me, I have really started to appreciate wine.. However, come passover, I am the happiest guy at the table sitting with Miss A drinking Manichewitz.. For some reason, it just reminds me of childhood dinners and there is something so much fun about that purple drink.. I think Michael Jackson calls it Jesus Juice.. But This Beaujolais crap I have drank in the past was a bad version of Manichewitz.. At least there is no pretension or expectation with Mani.. Just purple teeth and lots of laughing..

But thank you for your choices and taking the time to share them with me. I have emailed my wine guy from Hudson Wines in Hudson New York.. He is bringing me a bunch of stuff down for Biteclub so I asked him to give me a few different bottles of Beaujolis. And have added your suggestions to my list of things to try..

Who knew, he has already paired a Beaujolais with this weekends dinner..

this was his note to me"Hey!

You are getting a Fleurie, which is Beaj. for this coming dinner. I will round up a sampling of these that you were recommended and get them to you later this week.

They can be great wines, great food wines and wines that age well,"

Who knew, he has already paired a Beaujolais with this weekends dinner..

this was his note to me"Hey!

You are getting a Fleurie, which is Beaj. for this coming dinner. I will round up a sampling of these that you were recommended and get them to you later this week.

They can be great wines, great food wines and wines that age well,"

Whew! Talk about service! Nice

I am telling you.. This guy is amazing. Everyone should call guy and just talk with him.. The wines he gives us to pair with things I have seen at Jean Georges, Blue Hill, Cru, everywhere we eat, I see a bottle we have used..

Last night at Blue Hill our waitress recommended a bottle we served Sunday Night.. It was hard to justify paying 60 bucks for a bottle I have at my house but, what ya gonna do..