What single book is the best introduction to your field (or specialization within your field) for laypeople

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was good, Daniel, that was good.

Wow. What a question and website. Read all that and ya don't need to go to college.

Am trying to find a good book for a layman. Our company was started by a Nobel Prize laureate in physics:

http://www.osti.gov/accomplishments/schrieffer.html

Maybe I should just look for a book on office techniques for dingbats.

But I have so many fields. :blush:

Just to be negative:

Bertrand Russel's The Problem's of Philosophy is well regarded in that field.

It was certainly well regarded in 1912. I'd recommend just about any introductory book from the last twenty years ahead of it.

But I have so many fields. :blush:

Just to be negative:

Bertrand Russel's The Problem's of Philosophy is well regarded in that field.

It was certainly well regarded in 1912. I'd recommend just about any introductory book from the last twenty years ahead of it.

They can't even spell his name.

Historic Preservation -- Curatorial Management of the Built World, by James Marston Fitch, because the author was the father of historic preservation in the last part of the 20th century and the founder of the historic preservation program at Columbia University, the first of its kind.

These days, considering that I deliver lunches for a deli in Montclair NJ, it's simply the Hagstrom map of Essex County.

In my previous 20-year career, the User Manual for CompuSet would have been the deal. Here's a quick summary.

I shoulda taught myself something more useful, like HTML, instead before I got so old.