What single book is the best introduction to your field (or specialization within your field) for laypeople

I'm sorry but I'm a geek.

Kernighan & Ritchie's (K&R) The C Programming Language. Follows the geek law of showing you, inside three pages, how to make the computer print out "Hello World".

It's not often that one can call a technical manual great but that one is. It changed the way I (and about a billion others) write code.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight. My edition is so old (twenty years+) that it was not even set-up with non-serif font, but was reprinted from the author's hand-written text and almost childish, hand-drawn line drawings as illustrations. It is still a seminal work.

I love that book! It was my go-to text when I started metalsmithing.

During week - "Supply Chain management - Processes, Performance, & Management"

Saturday - 'Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads"

Saturday night - "Pimp Tales, Book One - The Gospel of the Game"....'cause that's how I roll bitches

Kernighan & Ritchie's (K&R) The C Programming Language. Follows the geek law of showing you, inside three pages, how to make the computer print out "Hello World".

It's not often that one can call a technical manual great but that one is. It changed the way I (and about a billion others) write code.

Gee, if I read that can I get a new career with that stuff?

Sadly, most things worth learning aren't very useful.

Sadly, most things worth learning aren't very useful.

And the useful things in which I am expert are so bloody limited..... :angry:

Oh well, as Mr. Micawber always said, something will turn up. :)

Which reminds me, I'm starting to see code submitted to us by candidates who have never been exposed to procedural programming. Anthropologically fascinating.

I'm still not sure what my field is though. Something like "quantitative truthiness extraction".