Well, that was interesting.

I liked having Jeff back. As I've said upthread, I admire his work ethic and his ambition - it elevates the competition. I can't help but think that the other men in the running haven't been thinking so much of being chefs, but of simply beating each other. Given that many of them weren't very good, that isn't a very high aim. I'd like to see Stefan up against Richard Blais, Hung, or Dale - I think that would knock some of the complacency out of him.

Re: Jeff - he's finally learning not to overreach, and if he can keep that focus, I think we'll hear more of him. Good for him - he deserves it.

Re: Carla - I agree with Nux - watching her rise has been the pleasure of this viewing season. She seems to exist in her own little world, and I hope she beats the pants off of Stefan.

Re: Hosea - how he got so far, I don't know. He plays the game like I play hearts (trying to throw off a loss rather than shoot the moon for a win). His only desire (besides wanting to schtupp Leah) seems to be in seeing Stefan lose. Way to go, guy. Reach for the stars.

Re: Stefan - it was good to see Colicchio call him out on his arrogance and lack of drive. Yeah, he can cook circles around this lot - but why doesn't he want more than that? I hope it shames him into cooking something with passion and ambition. I haven't seen any of that yet, and I think the less of him for it.

Re: Fabio - I think his career should be on the television, not in the kitchen. Which, giving the way things go these days, may be the most lucrative path of all.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the second week in a row that I thought Stefan would be leaving after hearing all of the comments/criticisms.

I'll miss Fabio. He's what made the show fun.

I thought for sure he'd get offed this week. He thought he could phone it in and still win or be a shoe in. I would think this would scare his lazy ass into putting some effort into his food. It's the finals ferchrissake! Now that Brit has recognized his food has no "soul" he might be in permanent trouble. Maybe 'food from the heart' can win over technical prowess. Hmm.

Really happy Carla won last night. Even if she doesn't make it to the end, she won a big one last night and walked away with a new car. I thought for sure it would finally dawn on her to steam the oysters till they opened, but it never did. Heat of the moment I guess, and maybe not a ton of experience cooking with oysters? I was worried for her in the beginning.

You gotta admit, Hosea really put some effort into this one. He made a real gumbo and got the kudos for it. Interesting how he sees Stefan as the only real competition. In fact, both Fabio & Hosea seem to completely disregard Carla's strengths and don't consider her a contender. And she knows that.

You gotta admit, Hosea really put some effort into this one. He made a real gumbo and got the kudos for it. Interesting how he sees Stefan as the only real competition. In fact, both Fabio & Hosea seem to completely disregard Carla's strengths and don't consider her a contender. And she knows that.

This is a very good observation and I wonder if it will end up being the downfall of Hosea and Stefan. Although it's a competition, Hosea and Stefan are sooo completely obsessed with beating each other I think this could become some misplaced energy that ultimately distracts from cooking. Carla is just focused on doing her best and being her own competition. In the show (editing, etc..) she appears very thoughtful about the criticisms that she receives and mindful of her own ideals and priorities in cooking food she wants others to enjoy - it's proving to be a winning combination for her. I hope she takes it all!! :lol:

Given the theme, it played to Stefan's and Carla's catering strengths - Carla performed up to snuff and Stefan played it to "not lose" Hosea's success relied on a huge amount of preparation I'm guessing. He strikes me as a very focused and studious cook. He probably read every cookbook he could get his hands on in the interim. I always enjoyed Fabio's personality - had the theme been cajun monkey's ass - he would have come out on top.

Given the final 3, Hosea seems like the long shot but hard work and preparation has excelled in the past. Carla and Stefan's grounding in French technique put's them in similar company but you cannot overlook Stefan's extensive experience working abroad and in Michelin starred kitchens. It's just at a whole other level.

Guest Aaron T

I also thought that for the second week Stefan was going home. And for the second week I thought the only reason they didn't send him home is that they know he has the best skills of any of the contestants and has won tons of challenges. These two shows to me scream that the one challenge is not the only criteria for who goes home.

I wish both euros could have gone home and Jeff could have competed in the final.

Carla really has found her rhythm. I think it would have been most interesting to have Ariane competing against Carla and Stefan in the finale though. :cool:

Read Gail's blog and you'll see she felt Carla and Stefan were the top two.

I used to think the show was edited heavily. Now I think they reshoot some scenes with script. Like "we all agree that Carla, Jeff and Hosea are the top three". It doesn't seem t fit with the blogs.

I think it's just that Colicchio gets his way, or so it seems to me. I'm glad they kept Stefan but I agree he deserved to go. It was nice to see Jeff get some redemption-- his ouster seemed to affect him so deeply. I thought he did well enough to earn a spot in the final, but I guess the rules are the rules and Carla also deserved the win for the day.

I don't think Hosea was just trying not to lose-- it seemed to me that all the chefs (except Stefan) were for once really going for it and actually making food I would have been excited to taste.

Fabio may belong to history now, but I predict his legacy-- "Top Scallop" and "Top Pussy"-- will live on!

And Gail looked good, didn't she? Marriage agrees with her. My wife kept talking about how great Padma looked, so I felt no guilt in agreeing with her completely.

Read Gail's blog and you'll see she felt Carla and Stefan were the top two.

I used to think the show was edited heavily. Now I think they reshoot some scenes with script. Like "we all agree that Carla, Jeff and Hosea are the top three". It doesn't seem t fit with the blogs.

I agree. The thing that is telling is when the hair styles of the female contestants change within a challenge, or between the time of the challenge and judges table (I was always under the impression that right after the challenge, the contestants are stuck in the stew room until someone is sent home and a winner is declared).