Casey fucked up Carla's last meal. And, Carla let her do it. Why did she take her advice??? Casey talked her out of cooking the protein how she wanted, and talked her out of making a tart for dessert. Jesus.

I think Carla could have won it, if she'd continued cooking HER food the way she had been these last few challenges. At the judges table, she realized that. Too bad.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Carla fucked up her last meal. It's not Casey's fault Carla let her have too much influence. I can see how the pressure of the competition would fuck with your head though, make you second guess yourself and over-reach in the wrong way to try to impress. It was sad to watch though. If you're going to go down, go down taking your best shot, not someone else's. I still don't see how Hosea won except for a cultural clash between Tom and the Euro (notice how Hubert Keller said the frozen fish was well-executed for that style of dish?. I really don't like Padma anymore. She seems so haughty.

I dislike Hosea as much as the next guy but it seemed like he actually won on the merits and I thought his food for the finale looked like food I'd want to eat. I think the judges really wanted to give it to Carla but they really couldn't based on how the meal went down. And has Tom's contempt for the Brit judge ever been more obvious?

The thing I found truly appalling was the product placement for that Pinot Grigio swill. They've had so many trash product placements this year-- the Swanson stock, the Butterball turkeys... were they always for products that are so bad or have I just gotten cranky? It's hard for me to imagine I could stomach using these products if I were competing on the show.

My Top Chef reflections

Top Chef is becoming less of a cooking contest

Hosea DID cook the best meal

Stefan left me down

Carla won me over with her sincerity

Fabio was the most entertaining thing about the season

Tom always a great job of steering the ship

When will Rocco's 15 mins expire

Casey hurt more than helped

Toby is a fraud

Padma is going through the motions

Gail Simmons nickname should be "FunBags"

I understand about quickfires and making you think on your feet but to have someone cook their best meal in such a short amount of time won't yield the best results.

I really think Hosea won "by default" ~ and only because he managed to cook better than Carla or Stefan for that last meal. I think the judges were thinking it was going to be Carla or Stefan, and I think SethG is right in that they wanted to give it to Carla.

Did you see Gail's expression when Rocco was complaining about eating foie? It looked like the editors *really* must have wanted to showcase Gail's disdain. Not that I blame Gail.... Hahaha!

I felt sad for Carla. I cried when she cried. She should not have let Casey have such an influence on her dishes, and she knew it, just a little too late. That was a bit heartbreaking to see, but I'm betting she'll never make that mistake again. At least she got the car, and I'm really hoping she takes the "Fan Favorite" award. Last season, it was $20,000!

And she got the Superbowl tickets, too. It did appear that Casey was a saboteur, though Carla evidenced lack of backbone previously and she did admit to not turning down the oven temperature. I am still wondering, too, why Fabio was seated at the final table. And why oh why can't we be given more than a ten second view/description of the final recipes. Did Hosea take ALL of the foie gras only to have only foam made of it?

I was looking at the recipes on the website.. Lots of them call for stocks and demi glace.. If this is all provided for them, this could help cut down cooking times by a ton.. I mean a quick fire challange giving you 10 minutes you could produce something that takes a normal person 2 days.

As this show has gone on over the years,I'm increasingly depressed by the spectacle of the judges and contestants being so willing to $ell their $ouls and self respect to Gladbags,Dr. Pepper,Diet Coke,etc...but that's the way it is now;winner or loser,you market your 15 minutes to the Max.And in the end,it's a popularity contest,edited and furnished with heros and assholes...

Guest Aaron T
Casey fucked up Carla's last meal. And, Carla let her do it. Why did she take her advice??? Casey talked her out of cooking the protein how she wanted, and talked her out of making a tart for dessert. Jesus.

I think Carla could have won it, if she'd continued cooking HER food the way she had been these last few challenges. At the judges table, she realized that. Too bad.

Oh man, I agree with you and Grant. When I saw her agree to do sous-vide, I was thinking, WTF? Especially when she said she had never done it before. Where was the love in that dish? Its not Casey's fault she had terrible ideas, but I wish Carla would have stuck to her guns.

I felt so bad watching her cry...

And the poo flinging begins.

Casey trashes Carla:

"Carla was not prepared and in over her head. The show did not talk about how the first course (crab) took her half of the friggin’ cooking time that day, I was left to work the rest of HER dishes.

She also did not have a plan. The ONLY thing she had in mind was a cheese course! I would NEVER do a cheese course. And where in the hell did french come from!? She is not even classically trained! It (the show) didn’t talk about how I worked on a sauce for 2 days and Carla forgot to put it on the plate… It didn’t show how the 2nd course (fish) was MINE. It didn’t show how she took the sous vide idea and decided to GRILL it last minute causing it to be tough… And it didn’t show how she WANTED to do the souffles which she does not even know how to make! That was HER food, because it certainly was me asking her how she wanted to do this and that while she was busy picking crab the entire time and making a souffle that didn’t rise!

I am done with TC. I did not influence her. She has NO ideas of her own, oh, except a cheese course."

Toby disagrees with Tom:

Eliminating Carla was the easy part. Deciding between Stefan and Hosea was fiendishly difficult. For the first time in Season 5, Tom and I were completely at loggerheads. We’ve disagreed before at Judges Table, but never like this. In tonight’s episode, you get a glimpse of this when my voice suddenly goes all high — it’s the moment when I’m defending Stefan’s dessert, but that scarcely conveys just how passionately we disagreed. It really was a bun fight.

I asked Tom at the outset whether the same rule applied to judging the finale as it did to all the other challenges, namely, that we had to disregard everything the chefs had done before and judge them entirely on their performance that day. He said it did, but with one caveat: if we whittled the finalists down to two, and there was nothing to choose between them, we could bring in their past performances as a tie-breaker.

As far as I was concerned, that was exactly the situation in last night’s episode — and, for that reason, we ought to give it to Stefan, who clearly performed better over the course of the season than Hosea.

Tom defends himself from the wrath of a nation:

Tom Colicchio has absolutely no regrets about naming Hosea Rosenberg winner on Wednesday’s Top Chef season finale, and now he has something to say to fuming fans.

"If I had to do it all over again, reading what I’m reading, I’d still say Hosea wins. He made a better meal," he told PEOPLE exclusively, calling from New York on Wednesday afternoon.

While some fans – including many PEOPLE.com readers – stewed over Rosenberg’s victory and emphasized Stefan Richter’s multiple wins and Carla Hall’s passion for food, Colicchio, who acts as the show’s head judge, stands by the judges’ decision.

"It’s fortunate for Hosea that he put together a better meal than Stefan," Colicchio says. "Simple as that. We don’t care about personalities. We don’t care about who was making out. We simply care about who put together a better meal from start to finish."

Plus, he adds, the judges only consider the output from that night’s challenge – never relying on past performances or outside factors.

"I come to Judges’ Table with an idea of who I think should win based on what the challenge was – not based on who I think the best chef is," he says.

Emphasis added. Now why might anyone think that this show would be about who the best chef might be?

And the poo flinging begins.

Casey trashes Carla:

"Carla was not prepared and in over her head. The show did not talk about how the first course (crab) took her half of the friggin’ cooking time that day, I was left to work the rest of HER dishes.

She also did not have a plan. The ONLY thing she had in mind was a cheese course! I would NEVER do a cheese course. And where in the hell did french come from!? She is not even classically trained! It (the show) didn’t talk about how I worked on a sauce for 2 days and Carla forgot to put it on the plate… It didn’t show how the 2nd course (fish) was MINE. It didn’t show how she took the sous vide idea and decided to GRILL it last minute causing it to be tough… And it didn’t show how she WANTED to do the souffles which she does not even know how to make! That was HER food, because it certainly was me asking her how she wanted to do this and that while she was busy picking crab the entire time and making a souffle that didn’t rise!

I am done with TC. I did not influence her. She has NO ideas of her own, oh, except a cheese course."

Toby disagrees with Tom:

Eliminating Carla was the easy part. Deciding between Stefan and Hosea was fiendishly difficult. For the first time in Season 5, Tom and I were completely at loggerheads. We’ve disagreed before at Judges Table, but never like this. In tonight’s episode, you get a glimpse of this when my voice suddenly goes all high â۠it’s the moment when I’m defending Stefan’s dessert, but that scarcely conveys just how passionately we disagreed. It really was a bun fight.

I asked Tom at the outset whether the same rule applied to judging the finale as it did to all the other challenges, namely, that we had to disregard everything the chefs had done before and judge them entirely on their performance that day. He said it did, but with one caveat: if we whittled the finalists down to two, and there was nothing to choose between them, we could bring in their past performances as a tie-breaker.

As far as I was concerned, that was exactly the situation in last night’s episode â۠and, for that reason, we ought to give it to Stefan, who clearly performed better over the course of the season than Hosea.

Tom defends himself from the wrath of a nation:

Tom Colicchio has absolutely no regrets about naming Hosea Rosenberg winner on Wednesday’s Top Chef season finale, and now he has something to say to fuming fans.

"If I had to do it all over again, reading what I’m reading, I’d still say Hosea wins. He made a better meal," he told PEOPLE exclusively, calling from New York on Wednesday afternoon.

While some fans – including many PEOPLE.com readers – stewed over Rosenberg’s victory and emphasized Stefan Richter’s multiple wins and Carla Hall’s passion for food, Colicchio, who acts as the show’s head judge, stands by the judges’ decision.

"It’s fortunate for Hosea that he put together a better meal than Stefan," Colicchio says. "Simple as that. We don’t care about personalities. We don’t care about who was making out. We simply care about who put together a better meal from start to finish."

Plus, he adds, the judges only consider the output from that night’s challenge – never relying on past performances or outside factors.

"I come to Judges’ Table with an idea of who I think should win based on what the challenge was – not based on who I think the best chef is," he says.

Emphasis added. Now why might anyone think that this show would be about who the best chef might be?

I kind of see all those points of view. For example, a student can get a less than stellar grade on an exam, and the instructor might 'know' that their ability is higher than the next person's, but the grade --in this case, the last meal--is based on that one performance, not other meals.

If the chefs aren't getting cumulative scores along the way, then I see Colicchio's point (but I do see Toby Young's point---if indeed it is a point, and not one artificially created for tv.)

As for Carla, she was really silly to bow to the bossy previous loser.