Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can i borrow a cup of trouble, please? 23andme   brought to you by mrs. google

I've never known much about my dad's family. He was sent abroad for school when he was 15 or 16, then did not go back to Thailand until he was 33 and left again when he was 34. He wasn't really close

i kinda recall hearing that you can't order this service from a new york address w/o a prescription, which would be hard to get get since this isn't exactly a medical service. i don't think it's fair

Posted Images

can i borrow a cup of trouble, please?

23andme

 

brought to you by mrs. google

 

It doesn't hurt that Anne Wojcicki is married to one of the founders of Google. The company was founded in her sister Susan's garage.

google and genentech are major investors in the venture and oprah is touting the value of the service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Meh,

 

So my father is an Ashkenazi Jew and my mother is Galician or Basque. I have a somewhat elevated risk for a couple of eye diseases and psoriasis. A 56% chance of brown eyes; 37% chance of green eyes; 7% chance of blue eyes.

 

Some IQ stuff, the Ashkenazi longevity gene, and not that much else. I'm most similar to certain northern Italians and to people living in Israel thousands of years ago (and to some Palestinians and Druz, although outside their clouds)

 

Apparently I can smell sweat more than average, I can taste bitter, and I can get malaria. I'm likely to be lactose intolerant, even though I'm not at all. Yay.

 

Oh, one working copy of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

What color are your eyes, Orik?

 

A cousin and her son participated in National Geographics test that is not as exhaustive, but tells participants where their ancestors were from a long time ago. This would be my father's side: Egypt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh,

 

So my father is an Ashkenazi Jew and my mother is Galician or Basque. I have a somewhat elevated risk for a couple of eye diseases and psoriasis. A 56% chance of brown eyes; 37% chance of green eyes; 7% chance of blue eyes.

 

Some IQ stuff, the Ashkenazi longevity gene, and not that much else. I'm most similar to certain northern Italians and to people living in Israel thousands of years ago (and to some Palestinians and Druz, although outside their clouds)

 

Apparently I can smell sweat more than average, I can taste bitter, and I can get malaria. I'm likely to be lactose intolerant, even though I'm not at all. Yay.

 

Oh, one working copy of alpha-actinin-3 in fast-twitch muscle fiber. Many world-class sprinters and some endurance athletes have this genotype. :lol:

 

What's your earwax type?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
my mother is Galician or Basque.

 

Two notably different genotypes. A genetic test of the type you mention should easily be able to distinguish between these two possibilities.

 

You're right, about 20 times more likely basque than galician. There are other services that focus more on ancestry determination, 23andme seem to be taking a standard lab chip and adding some speculative positions where they think research is going to make progress, so their texts about ancestry are vague. In any event, this is all part of some strangeness to do with the origins of Ashkenazi Jews - apparently men are from palestine, women are from wherever, or maybe not:

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/14/science/...nyt&emc=rss

 

I imagine it'll be 2-3 years before prices go down enough to make this sort of service fashionable outside the US, another couple of years until medical insurance controversy comes about, and in a decade it'll be mandatory if you want to get coverage at a decent rate (or mandated by govt healthcare systems).

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

The 23andMe offering has been improving steadily, and now includes risk data for dozens of medical conditions, disease carrier status, physical and mental traits, and genealogical info. They've also launched their own research effort, which for now has focused on fairly frivolous goals like the ability to smell asparagus urine, but that should eventually yield at least some interesting results, the main limitation being that the sub-sampling concept they've been using appears to be less successful that initially imagined, with a lot of the really interesting traits being encoded in portions of the genome that seemed unlikely to be important. They are still probably years away from achieving the stated goal of their benefactor and husband of making significant contribution to Parkinson's research.

 

 

At the same time, the feds have launched an effort to kill direct-to-consumer genetic testing (as you can imagine there's a lot of lobbying from the medical establishment as well as from the less liberal parts of the left wing to keep people and knowledge separate), but the risks they're citing seem so far fetched that they will likely fail to do so.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...