• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can i borrow a cup of trouble, please? 23andme   brought to you by mrs. google

I've never known much about my dad's family. He was sent abroad for school when he was 15 or 16, then did not go back to Thailand until he was 33 and left again when he was 34. He wasn't really close

i kinda recall hearing that you can't order this service from a new york address w/o a prescription, which would be hard to get get since this isn't exactly a medical service. i don't think it's fair

Posted Images

i did mine a while ago. was it worth $99? not immediately. i suppose it ruled out any unknown disruptions in my 97.2% european ashkenzai family tree. i'm third cousins-ish with a daughter of one of my favorite professors back at university. i'm a distant relative to katie couric. i'm not related to laurel nakadate.

• 6 years later...

I was previously 0.3% Spanish, which fit what we knew about our forebears (great great maybe one or two more great grandfather was a Spanish priest). But now I am 0.3% Italian.  Maybe he was Basque by way of Italy? 

They also have me pegged as 0.5% Bengal and NE India, and 0.3% Gujarati Patidar. Must be from the Thai side.

• 1 month later...

I've never known much about my dad's family. He was sent abroad for school when he was 15 or 16, then did not go back to Thailand until he was 33 and left again when he was 34. He wasn't really close to his siblings, and I didn't even meet any of them until I was 25. I knew how many siblings he had, I knew some stuff about his parents, but he never talked about his family much, so the information I had was minimal.

Recently, I noticed a possible 2nd cousin once removed on my 23 and me relatives list. And this person had a family name listed in his profile that was the same as my dad's birth surname (in thailand, if the king gives you a title, you adopt the title as your surname, so when my grandfather was titled, he changed the family's surname). In a move very unlike me, I cold-contacted that person, and since then, I've learned that my grandfather was the eldest of four siblings! And my great-grandfather (or great great grandfather; i can't remember now) was also in government, and was secretary to the minister of education under Rama V! And he may have also been titled. Not sure about that yet.

I'm so thrilled to be able to learn more about my dad's family, and I hope I can meet this newly discovered branch the next time I'm in Thailand!

• Like 2