So many Exhibitions, So Little Time

I did like a lot of the Stella show, but despite its size it's still highly selective. I'd like to have seen more of the smaller (monochromatic) sculptures, and I'd also like to have seen a more representative display of the Moby Dick series. But there's only so much space.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suggest a thread to mention interesting exhibitions you mean to attend.   Philip Pearlstein's retrospective at Monclair Art Museum, till Feb 1, 2009.   will add more later

here too   definitely planning to go.  

The Wallace Gallery at Columbia U. has a small show of works by Edward Koren, one of the cartoonists at The New Yorker. Interesting to see his evolution - as a student at CU, Koren worked on the humo

Posted Images

All the hype in the world can't prepare you for how spectacularly great that Picasso show is.

Or how punk. By punk, I mean the supposition that, when an artist works in a medium whose techniques he or she has not trained in, the artist can express his or her ideas more directly, because without the mediation of technique.

Now this doesn't mean that everybody can create good, much less great, art without training. For this to work, the artist must have some combination of the following: (a) encyclopedic knowledge of the history and esthetics of the form he or she is working in; (b) absolute mastery of some other artform; (c ) interesting ideas. Picasso doing sculpture is a perfect example.

What great stuff!