So many Exhibitions, So Little Time

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suggest a thread to mention interesting exhibitions you mean to attend.   Philip Pearlstein's retrospective at Monclair Art Museum, till Feb 1, 2009.   will add more later

here too   definitely planning to go.  

The Wallace Gallery at Columbia U. has a small show of works by Edward Koren, one of the cartoonists at The New Yorker. Interesting to see his evolution - as a student at CU, Koren worked on the humo

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Oh, so, Theater of the World at the Guggenheim (I actually saw this a few weekends ago, I'm not that lame).

Like, of course it's great, must-see, &c.

But two big disappointments:

• The skeleton of the title piece was fine, whatever, sure, but it sucks that it got pulled.
  • You know, 5,000 years of history and all that other Chinese nationalist propaganda – but, regardless, it's disappointing how homogenized contemporary art is. Take out the markers like Chinese people and Chinese characters and you'd be hard-pressed to tell that it's especially Chinese. I mean, I guess if I thought about it, I shouldn't have expected anything different, but... really? This is it?

The National Museum of African American History and Culture at the Smithsonian. Too many exhibits to mention but an amazing place beautifully designed inside and out, with a few neat architectural features that take great advantage of its view of the Mall. Designed with lots of open space meant to encourage folks to gather. And the best part of the experience is the sharing of information and experience between visitors. Lots of people chatting with strangers about exhibits and exchanging cards to continue conversations. Lots of stuff you know or have seen, but in context which is rare. Truly the history of America from a unique vantage point. Can't be done in a day, average dwell time is nearly 6 hours a visit and most visitors need to return at least once to see everything. Tickets for timed entry visits through normal channels are not available until April or May at this point but well worth the effort.

Looks like I missed my chance for advance tickets (I had planned to check this morning, but forgot until just now).

Is it difficult to get same-day timed tickets? I'm hoping for three, but will take what I can get. I'd like to go at least twice as splinky advised, and am hoping the second visit I will only need to try to get a ticket for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Michelangelo Drawings at the Met; this'll take at least 5 visits, and even then...

Stunning.

I recommend off-peak attendance. I went on a preview day, and many of the works are too small to be viewed by more than two or three people at once. Slow-going, and a large show.

Michelangelo Drawings at the Met; this'll take at least 5 visits, and even then...

Stunning.

I recommend off-peak attendance. I went on a preview day, and many of the works are too small to be viewed by more than two or three people at once. Slow-going, and a large show.

About 6 or 8 years ago the Met ran a similar show. The drawings of a well known (although not a Michelangelo level) artist. The show was packed and I found it impossible to enjoy because of that exact reason.

Stunning.

About 6 or 8 years ago the Met ran a similar show. The drawings of a well known (although not a Michelangelo level) artist. The show was packed and I found it impossible to enjoy because of that exact reason.

You know, there are so many works, that I find I enjoy a show like this more if I mosey around a lot; there are always works that no one is looking at, and I'll sidle up to them. Or, if there's something that's a must see at the show, it's easy enough to start behind a few people, and work your way up.

And my favorite off-peak hours at the Met are after 7 PM on a Friday or Saturday night. But I don't expect for this show that'll be much better. Early morning, and if you're a member, and they'll let you in even earlier...

As I said, you can always get up close and personal no matter, in my opinion, how crowded a show really is. Sometimes I'll even start at the end and work my way forward.

And, in this day and age, I gotta whip out my iPhone for the briefest of times. I was able to settle in in front of this for a good 5 minutes. 10 seconds to take the snap (sorry I'm a heathen, Sneak, but it helps me remember stuff), and 4:50 to soak it all in...

37558124925_e1c58054a5_z.jpg

Same with Leonardo...

38389036976_2c0d62d2c3_z.jpg

And Christie's had some other nice stuff, all set to be auctioned. This is the anti-DaVinci, I guess...

38389033486_0206dc5269_z.jpg

Stunning.

You know, there are so many works, that I find I enjoy a show like this more if I mosey around a lot; there are always works that no one is looking at, and I'll sidle up to them. Or, if there's something that's a must see at the show, it's easy enough to start behind a few people, and work your way up.

And my favorite off-peak hours at the Met are after 7 PM on a Friday or Saturday night. But I don't expect for this show that'll be much better. Early morning, and if you're a member, and they'll let you in even earlier...

As I said, you can always get up close and personal no matter, in my opinion, how crowded a show really is. Sometimes I'll even start at the end and work my way forward.

And, in this day and age, I gotta whip out my iPhone for the briefest of times. I was able to settle in in front of this for a good 5 minutes. 10 seconds to take the snap sorry I'm a heathen, Sneak, but it helps me remember stuff), and 4:50 to soak it all in...

Same with Leonardo...

38389036976_2c0d62d2c3_z.jpg

That da vinci painting just sold for a record $450 million dollars!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rare-painting-leonardo-da-vinci-auctioned-york-051045114.html?soc_trk=gcm&soc_src=c841dd90-2f8b-350f-8e65-f02648ba998b&.tsrc=notification-brknews

We went Saturday night and the crowds were thick. I agree that it will take several visits to do justice to the show, especially since the dim illumination (necessary for conservation) tends to cause eyestrain.

Yes, dark too. I really need to get my nose up to small drawings in that light.