So many Exhibitions, So Little Time

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Suggest a thread to mention interesting exhibitions you mean to attend.   Philip Pearlstein's retrospective at Monclair Art Museum, till Feb 1, 2009.   will add more later

here too   definitely planning to go.  

The Wallace Gallery at Columbia U. has a small show of works by Edward Koren, one of the cartoonists at The New Yorker. Interesting to see his evolution - as a student at CU, Koren worked on the humo

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

At this point, the creek looks nicer than those buildings.

Here's some more representative views from my last visit. It's a marine squat, pretty individualist/anarchic except for a few boats rented out by a landlord-ish owner. Note the solar cells: no other power. Or fresh water, you get that from a nearby hydrant and lug that and your groceries over a concrete wall, then walk along the embankment till you get to your boat (or rowboat if your home is moored farther out instead of being tied to the shore). 

I was stunned by the Abu-Dhabi-like growth when we house-hunted in LIC and southern Astoria seven years ago -- I used to bike and eat through there in the nineties. The once isolated 1 Court Square green tower's plaza had become more parklike, but its benches were overrun by orange-vested construction workers, like Nazi soldiers lunching in Paris. The jackhammering/sawing/welding seemed nonstop. I jogged to where Pearsons Stick to Your Ribs used to be, its smoky 'cue and begging tailless cats gentrified away by 2000.

IMG_0885-1.jpg

IMG_0882-3.jpg

IMG_0878-2.jpg

IMG_0876-2-1.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, AaronS said:

I’ve been spending a lot of time in the greenwood cemetery, which is much emptier than the park.

00B63A79-E442-4372-99F8-D8903958FE8D.jpeg

46E1BD77-74F5-4717-B8A9-12074C6CA144.jpeg

BA290ACA-6DE2-4156-87F7-6A6746053550.jpeg

I've been wanting to do a Sunday outing there this summer but we haven't made it work. (we're still traumatized by our last Brooklyn outing where mask compliance was close to 0%)

I don't want to sound racist, but that's Ortho Brooklyn (where people tend to be politically aligned with the mask-deniers).

The Times reported Park Slope as having the second-to-the-highest level of mask compliance of all the neighborhoods in New York they surveyed.  (Not that Greenwood Cemetery is in Park Slope.) (But it's not in Midwood, either.)

• Thanks 1
On 8/25/2020 at 1:01 PM, Sneakeater said:

I don't want to sound racist, but that's Ortho Brooklyn (where people tend to be politically aligned with the mask-deniers).

The Times reported that Park Slope had the second-to-the-highest level of mask compliance of all the neighborhoods in New York they surveyed.  (Not that Greenwood Cemetery is in Park Slope.) (But it's not in Midwood, either.)

Are you aware that if you Google “ortho Brooklyn” you get nothing but dentists?

First visit to a museum since February. This installation is called Cosmic Latte by Spencer Finch at Mass MOCA. The photo doesn’t do it justice.

Boy loved the Louise Bourgois eyes in front of the Williams College art museum.

9C884475-1CC7-4B1F-969C-D9436BBB3864.jpeg

On 8/25/2020 at 4:01 PM, Sneakeater said:

The Times reported Park Slope as having the second-to-the-highest level of mask compliance of all the neighborhoods in New York they surveyed.  (Not that Greenwood Cemetery is in Park Slope.) (But it's not in Midwood, either.)

Midwood is better than Borough Park, although not by much but the Belle Harbor/Rockaways area is pretty non compliant as well.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:30 PM, bloviatrix said:

First visit to a museum since February. This installation is called Cosmic Latte by Spencer Finch at Mass MOCA. The photo doesn’t do it justice.

Boy loved the Louise Bourgois eyes in front of the Williams College art museum.

So happy to see that Mass MOCA's still there. The news wasn't good when the bad news began:

https://www.wbur.org/artery/2020/03/25/mass-moca-lays-off-majority-of-staff-as-coronavirus-closures-batter-cultural-institutions

Conversely, I'm still annoyed that the James Turrell installation, installed soon after we'd spent three weeks there, is still there, yet we're not.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 4:02 PM, Sneakeater said:

If you're going to the Cemetery, don't forget this:    https://here.org/shows/cairns/

I did this walk yesterday, and the weather was perfect. I expected something more "arty," and indeed there's music and other effects, but it's mostly a narrated tour, and the way it guides you, step by step, is very well done. No need to look at a map. The narrator (and singer) Gelsey Bell admits it moves at a "healthy clip." It does. I was hitting pause when racing up some steep, broken paths.

Recommended, but of course I have to carp about one thing which is that the tree-hugging gets a bit misanthropic at one point. 

ETA: As Aaron mentioned above, the cemetery was quite empty even on a sunny Sunday. Nice to be out in the fresh air without a mask.