Momofuku Milk Bar

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(Manresa's house butter

That is what I'm most interested in tasting. I've been to Manresa, but before Pim starting making the butter.

It is the apotheosis of butter. ;)

How is it better than the butter you've been making at home?

(Manresa's house butter

That is what I'm most interested in tasting. I've been to Manresa, but before Pim starting making the butter.

It is the apotheosis of butter. ;)

How is it better than the butter you've been making at home?

Better texture--more dense-- and a deeper flavor--more fermented I'd guess. And it was saltier than I've been making my butter, which is something I will definitely be experimenting with. I tend to be timid with salt in butter I think. And nothing to do with how good it was, but it was also more yellow than my butter which I suppose is a result of what the cows have been eating. I use Norwich Farms cream to make my butter.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if Pim makes it is as salty at home, when it doesn't need to travel?

I don't know what the stuff that traveled was like, but Pim's butter is a relavation. Only the butter from Animal Farm comes close, but Pim's is tops. And yes it is salted, which I love. I can say that the salty flavor is discernible in her butter served at Manresa as well (a good thing).

I wonder if Pim makes it is as salty at home, when it doesn't need to travel?

I salted the butter for flavor, not for travel. :) Both David and I love salted butter, and I don't make nearly enough butter to keep some unsalted and some salted, so I just make it the way we like it.

I don't want to give the impression that our butter is very salty. It's not. It's actually much less salty than Pascal Beillevaire's demi-sel, or even Bordier's. We use fleur de sel, so perhaps the occasional burst/crunch from the salt flakes could have given the impression that it's altogether saltier than it actually was.

• 1 month later...

I wish they would hold some of the cakes closer to room temperature so they could be eaten in the store. They're so cold that the creams and "milk crumb" were too hard to cut.

I took a taste of the stuffing flavored soft ice cream. It was one of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth. Shockingly vile. Like celery mixed with bile. And it lingered. I was stunned for about 30 seconds just murmuring "this is awful, oh my god, this is awful."

My Dad was predictably bemused by "cereal milk." "I've got cereal and milk at home, why would I pay them for it?" I tried to explain that it was purchased, in the summer by people wearing straw fedoras, and in cooler weather by people wearing wool hats, all of whom are trying to retain their childhood innocence well into their later years. He still didn't get it, but I think he was upset that they didn't have tv with the ball game.

My Dad was predictably bemused by "cereal milk." "I've got cereal and milk at home, why would I pay them for it?" I tried to explain that it was purchased, in the summer by people wearing straw fedoras, and in cooler weather by people wearing wool hats, all of whom are trying to retain their childhood innocence well into their later years. He still didn't get it, but I think he was upset that they didn't have tv with the ball game.

Your father sounds like a person firmly grounded in the real world. You should occasionally take him to other trendy places. I'd like to hear his comments.

I wish they would hold some of the cakes closer to room temperature so they could be eaten in the store. They're so cold that the creams and "milk crumb" were too hard to cut.

I took a taste of the stuffing flavored soft ice cream. It was one of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth. Shockingly vile. Like celery mixed with bile. And it lingered. I was stunned for about 30 seconds just murmuring "this is awful, oh my god, this is awful."

I'm impressed you were brave enough to taste it. The mere thought of it makes me shudder.

A friend and I went in there one day this past summer, hoping for a snack. Everything looked so unappetizing, and the soft serve flavors sounded so unappetizing, that we walked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Are all you David Chang groupies reading the GQ blog entries about his book tour (written by Chang and Peter Meehan, just like the book)? So far my favorite DC post is about going to the Southern Foodway Alliance's conference immediately after the book party, which includes this gem:

* John T. Edge and his crew who run the event are the best. Southern hospitality makes me feel terrible as it makes me realize what a massive asshole I am.