A Little Poplar Table

My Dad has been bugging me to build him a table for his printer. I figured it was a good opportunity to practice with some less expensive wood. I didn't have plans, but it's pretty basic:

3049710147_067c5f7c73.jpg

3050549490_fcf94a3902.jpg

3049709719_130d5f9e40.jpg

Poplar is generally considered a "secondary" wood, suitable for inner frames and surfaces meant to be painted. I dyed this before putting on a poly and thought it came out pretty nice. The drawer pull is from a piece of walnut I had lying around.

Look, Stone, I'm sorry but I have to cancel that gift I ordered for mongo. He wouldn't have appreciated the ebony and ivory chess set with all those inlays anyhow. Perhaps I'll get RG to send him one bean for the first square, two for the second and so on. I'm sure he's got room on the snow farm for the legumes.

Stone: You've created a fine example that proves that poplar is an under-rated wood. IIRC, poplar may have a variety of tones from pale to smoky. Other fine woods also have a variety of tones. Careful selection and appropriate finishing techniques make a world of difference, especially when using such woods. Well done.

Stone: You've created a fine example that proves that poplar is an under-rated wood. IIRC, poplar may have a variety of tones from pale to smoky.

Smoky is kind. It's downright green in the grain pattern, which is why it's rarely used except under a coat of paint. I fully expected that I would have to paint over this after trying the dye.

Thanks everyone.