What is the greatest Christmas song ever?

What is the greatest Christmas song ever?

John Lennon, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Fairytale Of New York, The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Bruce Springsteen, Do They Know Its Christmas, Band Aid or something else?

This Day in Music have launched a poll to find out what your favourite Christmas songs are.

What song would you pick? You can see a full list of songs and vote on http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nat King Cole - Christmas Song

Bing Crosby - White Christmas

Vince Guaraldi - Christmas time is here (instrumental version)

My choices reflect tradition and recall memories of Holidays past. Hand mixing potatoes under the watchful eyes of since departed grandparents.

For all those years when there was no YouTube and minimal re-runs, I had an incredibly soft spot for the Bing/Bowie song as I have a very vivid memory of its original showing.

Watching Bing movies was something I did with my Dad and gives me all levels of warm and fuzzy thoughts and recollections. I touted Bing's importance in the Mamma Mia thread and having an old stalwart like Crosby paired with the then-radical and avant garde Bowie was a masterful combination.

Nat King Cole - Christmas Song

Bing Crosby - White Christmas

Vince Guaraldi - Christmas time is here (instrumental version)

My choices reflect tradition and recall memories of Holidays past. Hand mixing potatoes under the watchful eyes of since departed grandparents.

I like this list.

I'd just say I like the high pitched children's voices on the Guaraldi.

And I'd add Charles Brown's Merry Christmas, Baby.

And I think there should be a law that this music is allowed only between Dec 22 and Dec 31.

And I think there should be a law that this music is allowed only between Dec 22 and Dec 31.

Paul too! I was humming a Christmas song yesterday and he advised me of the above new household rule. I told him I would compromise and allow it only between the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas day.