I'd like to see Trotter eschew electricity. It is, after all, just a crutch and the ethical and environmental horrors its production causes are beyond imagination.

That could make for some slow food. Or, he could just go raw.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view is that I'm happy those lunatics are obsessed with the welfare of fowl because if they weren't there demonstrating, they'd probably be in Florida, or some such, doing much more harm.

What ? You mean they'd be supporting mass euthanasia or summat like that ? :lol:

Macro, there's lots of people who'd support mass euthanasia in Florida. :lol: Other than the ones who think euthanasia means young people in China.

An article today.

v

Thanks for sharing that piece, Vanessa.

Mr Fort draws an interesting distinction between the industrialized mass force feeding and the voluntary self-overfeeding of free range geese. I hadn't thought about the difference before, and it caused me to confront whether I'm more opposed to the industrial aspect, or the forced aspect.

The piece is consistent with comments made by Robert Buxbaum on eG a few years back

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

a vote on a proposed foie gras ban in chicago has been postponed.

Mayor Daley -- who has openly ridiculed the proposed ban and says he enjoys eating foie gras -- said even with a ban, restaurants are likely to find a way to serve foie gras under a different name.

"Why not? Unless you're going to test it. Our inspectors can't go out and test it. They can't go into restaurants and say, 'What are you eating?' " he said.

;)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-foiegras27.html

Mayor Daley -- who has openly ridiculed the proposed ban and says he enjoys eating foie gras -- said even with a ban, restaurants are likely to find a way to serve foie gras under a different name.

"Why not? Unless you're going to test it. Our inspectors can't go out and test it. They can't go into restaurants and say, 'What are you eating?' " he said.

;)

Odd remarks by Daley. He's obviously right that you can't inspect bits of cooked duck's liver in restaurants - but surely it would occur to you instead to inspect farms' feeding practices.

;)

Odd remarks by Daley. He's obviously right that you can't inspect bits of cooked duck's liver in restaurants - but surely it would occur to you instead to inspect farms' feeding practices.

Oy, shit. Thanks, Mr. Smartypants, for ruining it for every one.

Odd remarks by Daley.

most of his remarks are odd ;)

my alderman is the one who introduced the bill, but i won't say anything about him because i need some work done in my alley.

;)

In case he's reading along?

Odd remarks by Daley.

most of his remarks are odd ;)

my alderman is the one who introduced the bill, but i won't say anything about him because i need some work done in my alley.

;)

In case he's reading along?

yes :(

last year i called him about the flooding in my street and the sewers were routed within a week.

this whole foie gras thing is pandering to the rogers park liberal hippies :(

• 5 months later...

some vintage mayor daley quotes:

“I think we have four restaurants that serve foie gras. . . .Someone talks about foie gras this week. What’s next week? What’s on your menu. . . .You tell me what’s next week we’re gonna decide what you should eat and what you should do. . . . France is very proud of it, right? Maybe next, they’ll start out wanting to [ban] French fries because of the name ‘French fries’ and maybe someone doesn’t like France.”

“I have a fish tank. I don’t want any aldermen coming up there, putting their hands in and start eating sushi. My little fish there. That would really bother all of us.”

Oh. My. God.

EDIT: Since foie gras does not constitute a regular part of my "diet," I can not say I am particularly affected by the ban. Other than in a philosophical sense, of course :lol: Now, if they banned Doritos, I'd be in trouble.