Pumpkin Seed Oil

The featured product of the day at my Wegmans was a pumpkin seed oil, and since i was very light in shopping needs, i decided to pick up a bottle. Man, what a smart idea it was. I steamed some baby white potatoes, and added chopped parsley. Without any particular anticipation, i opened a bottle of oil, and poured it over potatoes: dark and fragrant, it somewhat reminded me of best examples of sunflower oil but much more pronounced. I literally licked the plate :D

The whole thing prompted me to dig out this particular quote made by Geoff Lindsay an australian chefs in regard of silken tofu:

"I love the fact that it took me 35 years to discover its pleasures and i hope that in another 35 years i am still discovering long ovelooked ingredients that become new staples in my diet."

For me it pretty much defines the beauty of food - new taste and flavors discovered daily: fresh wood ear mushrooms yesterday, pumpkin seed oil today, and silken tofu tomorrow :D

[i dug] out this particular quote . . . by Geoff Lindsay an australian chef in regard of silken tofu:

"I love the fact that it took me 35 years to discover its pleasures and i hope that in another 35 years i am still discovering long ovelooked ingredients that become new staples in my diet."

For me it pretty much defines the beauty of food - new taste and flavors discovered daily. :D

Maybe that's why I keep coming back to Paris: black tomatoes of Crimea, sheep's foot mushrooms . . . and today, eight or ten different country hams at the Foire d'Automne a la Brocante et aux Jambons. I keep counting my blessings. :D

For those interested in health issues:

This site (http://www.dietobio.com/aliments/fr/potiron.html) is in French, and the relevant sections have been translated by Babelfish, and automatic translator available at altavista.com. I left it as Babelfish rendered it, 'cause it's funny.

"The pumpkin seed oil is made starting from seeds of the pumpkin Styrian (Cucurbita Pepo). These pumpkins have a skin jaune/verte and a flesh jaune/orange. Their seeds green are sunk and do not have an envelope.

"They are easily in a hurry after their drying to give oil.

"The made oil of these seeds is famous for its benefits.

"Fresh oil contains more than 60 % of fatty acids unsaturated (29 % of unsaturated mono fatty acids, 51 % of fatty acids poly unsaturated).

"It is particularly interesting in the prevention and the treatment of the problems of prostate like for its capacity controlling cholesterol.

. . .

"Everyone knows now celebrates it tart with pumpkin of Halloween. This receipt crossed the ocean and becomes increasingly known in France. There are many receipts for this tart; the general idea is to combine pumpkin reduced out of mashed potaties [réduit en purée] with eggs, cream and spices (cardamome, grooves [cannelle, cinnamon], nutmeg...).

"The pumpkin is also used for the clothes industry [babelfish translation of "confection"] of many desserts: muffins, cookies, cakes . . ."

:D :D

Edited to add a couple of translation clarifiers.

"Fresh oil contains more than 60 % of fatty acids unsaturated (29 % of unsaturated mono fatty acids, 51 % of fatty acids poly unsaturated)..

51 + 29 = 60?

Is this something to do with the metric system?

Yes. The Babelfish Automatic Translator and Gelato Churn has its own take on the metric system. It does not like dealing in the decimal system and has developed a system of its own. So sixty percent of the oil is fatty acids. Of that sixty percent, 80 percent comprises some mono-unsaturates and poly-unsaturates. The other twenty percent is "unsaturates inconnu." Better ask a punkin.