Rail Paul

Taylor pork roll

The Star-Ledger has a video celebrating this processed spiced pork loaf product. Breakfast of Champions, it's found in every NJ diner.

It's made by just two companies (Case and Taylor) in Trenton NJ. The formula is secret, and distribution is limited to NJ, NYC, and a few nearby locations in Pennsylvania.

Breakfast

• Like 9

Had one this morning.. Good stuff.. I had mine with cheese on a Portuguese Roll.

A couple of years ago I had a bite of this -- a fave of my adolescence -- and found it impossibly sweet and salty to the point of inedibility. It hasn't changed, but I have.

I was always afraid to eat Taylor Pork Roll when they served it in our high school cafeteria. I know it's a Jersey "specialty", but to me it's in the same category as Spam.

I was always afraid to eat Taylor Pork Roll when they served it in our high school cafeteria. I know it's a Jersey "specialty", but to me it's in the same category as Spam.

Same category, definitely, but I think sweeter and even saltier although I've never had Spam.

Oh, the smell of frying Taylor ham :::shiver:::

Is that delight or revulsion, Ping?

I'll mention that Taylor and Case are separate companies.

"Pork roll" is made by both companies, but "Taylor Pork Roll" is a trademarked product made only by the Taylor company.

Pork roll with cheese on a Portuguese roll sounds wonderful. Maybe with some chopped onions and green salsa.

Pork roll with cheese on a Portuguese roll sounds wonderful. Maybe with some chopped onions and green salsa.

Spoken like a true son of New Jersey.

That sandwich should be followed by a Jersey-style trou Normand of Laird's Applejack, shouldn't it?

Spoken like a true son of New Jersey.

That sandwich should be followed by a Jersey-style trou Normand of Laird's Applejack, shouldn't it?

Probably a dark beer. But, that's just a personal preference. I'm sure others will differ.

Oh, the smell of frying Taylor ham :::shiver:::

Is that delight or revulsion, Ping?

Emphatically the latter, Lippy.

I tried it a couple of years ago, probably under tommy's influence. Fried, with an egg and American cheese, on a roll. Not something I would regularly put in my mouth, but it's okay for that once-in-a-while-eat-like-a-"normal"-person junk-food fix. I can understand why people like it: probably the excessive sweetness and saltiness that are reviled here. Kinda like Slim Jims, but without the fermentation.