Do something new every three years

Good thread, and comments.

I think it's important for people to be fundamentally challenged every few years. In the four decades since I left high school, I've probably worked at a dozen jobs for pay, sometimes overlapping.

Learned a lot, was challenged almost beyond my limits many times, and had some good fun along the way.

There's an ongoing criticism of Gladwell's Outlier thesis that he minimizes externalities like family environment, race advantages, etc in favor of personal dedication and other internal strengths. I haven't examined the arguments on both sides sufficiently to offer any comments.

Let me get this straight: we are supposed to spend three years becoming expert at something and then chuck it all and start fresh, leaving all that knowledge at the new doorstep? Oh, please. No wonder the world is in such horrible shape.

That said, other than a six-year stint at one job that basically remained the same from day one to the final day, I've switched a lot over the last almost-forty years. But I always used skills and knowledge gained from earlier jobs -- just in a different environment and in different ways. That's what seems to be missing from that article: change if you want to/can, but never forget what you learned and always find a way to use it. (Of course, I say this with a good thirty years on the author, who may someday choke on his own adrenaline.)

I thought Gladwell was promoting the theory in his last book, Blink, that you knew stuff at the blink of an eye. Now he's saying 10,000 hours.

I heard a little of an interview with Gladwell on the radio months back, and he did admit that one could practice something for 10,000 hours and still be crap at it.

I thought Gladwell was promoting the theory in his last book, Blink, that you knew stuff at the blink of an eye. Now he's saying 10,000 hours.

I heard a little of an interview with Gladwell on the radio months back, and he did admit that one could practice something for 10,000 hours and still be crap at it.

you know, he just makes all this stuff up as he goes along, right?