Sign in to follow this  
Vanessa

St. John, London

You can't have a food forum without a St John thread, so here it is. And here is the link to the menu which is updated twice daily and has me crying at my desk.

v

• Like 3

I am off tonight with brother o mine

two squirrels saved

Sure it will play havoc with my digestion particularly as I have to get up at 3am to get a cab to the airport

I am off tonight with brother o mine

two squirrels saved

That's OK, I'll just go and eat worms :ph43r:

v

prompted by the fair V, Robin and I headed to St J ce soir

We had to plead our way to a 6.45pm table and promise to have it back to tom by 9pm.

We went straigth to our table upon arrival and we were handed the menu by a young woman who was an exact doppelganger for Sophie Ellis Bexter.

After a few hits & misses, I am pleased to report that this was another excellent meal.

I began, of course, with the squirrel livers on toast. Pate to all intents and purposes and served with some sour cornishons. Very good indeed. Robin had a foie terrine which was expensive ( £8 ) but very very good.

Then to the main courses. We decided to share a course of claf's sweetbreads with fir apples and a special of braised shoulder of suckling kid with poached shallots. The kid was wonderful, if slightly over powered by the sweetness of the shallots

With this we drank a passable gigondas

We almost didn't have pudding, but Rob was taken with the stem ginger ice cream and I was then, obviously, forced to join him in a plate of forced rhubarb fool with honey brioche. Ah well, you just have to sometimes

Bill inc service which was slow tonight, was a not cheap £70 a pop, but for such experiences, money counts for little

Now I am home pondering on a 3am cab to the airport and watching Lindersfarne on a DVD of The Old Grey Whistle test

7/10

S

Didn't have time to trek back to this mysterious purveyor (it is possible to be in the middle of nowhere even in Manhattan). I'll get around to it.

I tasted some of Slapsie's squirrel at St John last year. Blech! Definitely not for me. Gamey and pungent in all the wrong (for me) ways.

Not nearly enough meat in Spain, so, before my chum heads home, we had supper at St J

Perhaps the best meal there ( excluding pig fests ) for a couple of years

A nostalgic glass of Manzanilla to begin, then to table

Starters of Dogfish ( the belly flaps of the shark we were told ) and salad and Crispy pig skin with cornichons. Both quite sublime.

Main courses of Oxtail and mash ( rich and meaty ) and chitterlings with dandelions ( perhaps my fave St J dish of all) perfect in every respect.

Puddings were the Eccles with Lancashire and the indescribably good forced rhubarb fool with brioche.

Bill for two with a decent bottle of something or other came to £95. A bit more than Spain, but worth every penny

As we were leaving, Tom offered us a glass of Vielle Prune from Fergus's special stash, a large bottle with the words Fergus: Keep Off written on it

While we were drinking this, Lee, the guy who now runs the bakery chatted to us and ended up bringing us a huge slap of the apple cake with jersey cream to eat with our stickies.

My friend liked St J. I don't blame them

S

Salt lamb and caper sauce on the menu this evening :sob:

v

ah, maybe time to drop into my neighbourhood joint again. Must be almost a week since I went

Gloating glee

S

v

ah, maybe time to drop into my neighbourhood joint again. Must be almost a week since I went

Gloating glee

S

Harrumph :angry:

v

v

Gloating glee

S

Harrumph :angry:

v

I may not though. You see the glory of living so close to St J is I can pop in or not as i please

:D