Sign in to follow this  
Vanessa

St. John, London

finally wrote up my meal at the mothership in late august (now with a pink pig citation).

Just came across this.

This marrow toast, made up in kitchen, would be a stunning addition to a dinner party first course. Maybe passed on a platter. I am loathe to serve marrow as a complete first course since not everyone eats it. Like my husband...

33444490564_2f8394c68d.jpg

it didn't look like a queue--they were just milling around. but you're probably right.

The milling around, I think, seems to be around various pubs...and I don't know if it's really milling around, but instead standing outside with their drinks in order to soak in the beautiful day (it's been way too nice in London for me), as well as to smoke.

That said, those tiny brown shrimp were just great tossed with shredded cabbage as a first course last night, Delicious peas in their pods accompanied our first glasses of wine. And pickled mackerel with potatoes was super too.

Roast Middlewhite, Megrim sole, and violet artichokes braised with peas rounded out our meal pretty damn nicely. Eccles cake, too.

Just a fine time, with excellent service from the friendly, knowledgeable staff.

It is, of course, legal to drink in public in the UK, so where pubs don't have seats, people just drink on the sidewalk on a nice day.

yes, people mill around outside pubs even after dark (a friend and i did that last night in covent garden after a play). however, i don't think i've noticed people milling around outside another establishment's entrance to the point of making it hard to enter.

for reference here's the photograph of the crowd i commented on last august. note that the crowd is entirely in front of the st. john entrance.

exterior1.jpg

st. john, again.

the problem with waiting 3.5 months to finish writing up a meal is that if you didn't take detailed notes on the meal you might forget what the name of one of the dishes was. see if you can figure out which of the small plates on the pictured menu the mystery salad might have been.

marrow-bones.jpg

nope, not referring to the greens with the roast marrow bones but to an entirely different dish pictured on the blog post.

this is the mystery salad:

greens1.jpg

greens2.jpg

and here's the menu on the night:

menu4.jpg

on the blog someone commented and guessed it was their pork cheek and dandelion salad. sounds right but it was not on the regular menu that night and nor was it on the bar menu. it's possible it was an off-menu option given to my friend (who doesn't eat any offal or anything else exotic--which rules out other possibilities on the night).

bar-menu.jpg