Vin Scully

the greatest of all time, the muhammad ali of sportscasting, is ralph lawler, the voice of the los angeles clippers.

at least you did not say Ralph Kiner

I think a major part of our attachment to a sportscaster is familiarity. Scully does the Dodgers games so naturally Hollywood has gotten to know his work. Of course it's also important that the sportscaster is good. In New York Fran Healy was a hideous broadcaster who afflicted both the Yankees and Mets. Currently John Sterling is awful for the Yankees. OTOH Bobby Murcer was wonderful. The Mets radio voice, Howie Rose, is also first rate.

In the 1970s when the Knicks were great Marv Albert was a folk hero among Knick fans. We used to watch the games on TV with the sound off and turn on the radio to hear Marv call the game. He was that good.

I'll bet there are lots of great broadcasters out there.

I can't believe I'm the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought it was in the "Good-bye" forum. When you're dealing with guys this old, you have to be careful with naming conventions.

Word.

His eldest daughter was my roomate at Cal, so my heart stopped a little bit. He is a lovely man. :)

the greatest of all time, the muhammad ali of sportscasting, is ralph lawler, the voice of the los angeles clippers.

at least you did not say Ralph Kiner

I think a major part of our attachment to a sportscaster is familiarity. Scully does the Dodgers games so naturally Hollywood has gotten to know his work. Of course it's also important that the sportscaster is good. In New York Fran Healy was a hideous broadcaster who afflicted both the Yankees and Mets. Currently John Sterling is awful for the Yankees. OTOH Bobby Murcer was wonderful. The Mets radio voice, Howie Rose, is also first rate.

In the 1970s when the Knicks were great Marv Albert was a folk hero among Knick fans. We used to watch the games on TV with the sound off and turn on the radio to hear Marv call the game. He was that good.

I'll bet there are lots of great broadcasters out there.

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!

I recently watched Don Larsen's perfect game. The game was called by Mel Allen and Vin Scully. Each was responsible for half an inning. Those guys were in a different class, I think it's because they came from radio.

Everyone is so focused on baseball, but two of my faves are Mike Emerick and Jiggs McDonald. Both are hockey guys. But I'll never forget listening to Emerick called water polo in the '04 Olympics and being amazed.