Chain emails.

Oooh, one of my biggest pet peeves. I wrote this reply to a sender once:

I STRONGLY object to chain letters. Despite how innocent and friendly they may appear, they all operate on the principle of blackmailing people to get what you want. The blackmail may vary from minor guilt-tripping ("don't ruin it for us", "it'll be fun") to threatening ("Mr. X broke the chain and his parents were machine-gunned the next day") but frankly, the degree of blackmail doesn't really matter, it is still blackmail, and you should NOT do that to people you consider to be friends, or place them in an awkward position. Chain letters are ALL manipulative, and I will NEVER participate in one, no matter how friendly or innocent it is.
Have you considered medication or intensive psycho-therapy?

Or just hitting the delete button?

That got me a personal apology and the person either totally reformed or at least took me off the list. From my perspective either is a victory.

• Replies 28.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• splinky

• hollywood

• mongo_jones

• Wilfrid1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the DMV to get a learners permit this morning. That was the first annoyance: that although my UK license is perfectly OK for driving in the US (as long as I’m not a resident), it is not suff

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again   v

Posted Images

These are people that we like. We are sorta buds. We share Life Experiences.

I must be filtering out the type of friends who would be inclined to send me pictures of angels, cute pussycats (pictures of pets are exempt) , or chain letters. I never get them. Now maybe I'm losing out by not befriending wonderful life affirming people who happen to also believe in winged spirits and the efficacy of forwarding important lucky messages to 10 of their closest friends.

I'm willing to take that chance.

Now maybe I'm losing out by not befriending wonderful life affirming people who happen to also believe in winged spirits and the efficacy of forwarding important lucky messages to 10 of their closest friends.

Strikes me that this describes to a certain degree the experience of being a MF Admin.

Well, I'm nicer than you. Not that that's saying much.

And one of those life affirming friends just sent me a greeting card with a fine, Sean-looking cat on the front and a message inside: "If you were a sofa, I'd have to shred you to pieces."

I'm feelin' the luv.

These are people that we like. We are sorta buds. We share Life Experiences.

I must be filtering out the type of friends who would be inclined to send me pictures of angels, cute pussycats (pictures of pets are exempt) , or chain letters. I never get them. Now maybe I'm losing out by not befriending wonderful life affirming people who happen to also believe in winged spirits and the efficacy of forwarding important lucky messages to 10 of their closest friends.

Unfortunately, I can't filter out my mother, who is the worst culprit. Her most favorite things to pass on appear to be Jewish-themed jokes, warnings about public safety and Internet viruses, and news items about anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli incidents around the world.

Unfortunately, I can't filter out my mother, who is the worst culprit. Her most favorite things to pass on appear to be Jewish-themed jokes, warnings about public safety and Internet viruses, and news items about anti-Semitic and anti-Israeli incidents around the world.

That's my friend in Santa Monica. To a T. A woman of a certain age, smart and funny, very fun to be with, but that is what she sends on.

Guest Aaron T

I got a parking ticket yesterday just a block from my apartment. I have been very careful about street sweeping days but must have gotten confused or planned to drive to work on Friday. In any case when I went to go to the liquor store today I saw the ticket and decided to go to Trader Joes for inexpensive stuff. $50 for that is aggravating.

That's definitely annoying. We'd end up with the occasional ticket when we still parked on the street, and tried not to get too upset. Like most New Yorkers, we figured if the total of parking tickets at the end of the month was less than a garage would have cost, we'd come out ahead. The other calculation we made frequently: If flying out of town, was the cost of airport parking more or less than r/t car fare+ parking ticket?

I'm a pretty fastidious person in that I live with very little clutter, make my bed as soon as I get up every day, and keep my apartment clean so that if I invite anybody over at the last minute, I am not ashamed and can show off my little art- and book-filled hovel.

But I have spent the past two-frigg'n hours looking for my bloody keys! And it isn't like they would be under a pile of trash or anything! :angry: